Tortoise housed with blue tailed skink

Joseph Flores

Location (City and/or State)
MERCEDES, TX
Can a tortoise be house with a small blue tailed or 5 striped skink? Would be curious to know if that’s possible.

Avuwyy

Liverpool, Merseyside
Tortoises shouldn’t be housed with anything other than their own species (And cleanup crew).

Interspecies enclosures often favour one species over the other, leaving either the tortoise or the skink in a less than ideal habitat. Different temperatures, humidity requirements, uvb requirements, diet, enclosure size, etc. Not to mention the potential passing of foreign pathogens.

Overall it is just a really bad idea, seen a few people do this but it is often in favour of one species.

Reactions: Tom

Joseph Flores

MERCEDES, TX
Tortoises shouldn’t be housed with anything other than their own species (And cleanup crew).

Interspecies enclosures often favour one species over the other, leaving either the tortoise or the skink in a less than ideal habitat. Different temperatures, humidity requirements, uvb requirements, diet, enclosure size, etc. Not to mention the potential passing of foreign pathogens.

Overall it is just a really bad idea, seen a few people do this but it is often in favour of one species.
That’s true but only one thing I was talking about “blue tailed skinks” not “blue tongued” but was curious to know thank you.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I was wondering, are you deliberately placing the tortoise & skink in an enclosure? Or, are you wondering about them being in close proximity & occasionally possibly interacting? The reason I ask is we have Blue-Tailed skinks outside here naturally in Maryland. I often see the skinks basking in warm to hot areas where our Sully hangs out. Sometimes they seek refuge beneath our Sullys nightbox.

Reactions: Ink