Tortoise left out overnight...

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
My 10-year old Hermann's tortoise, Elsa, got accidentally left out overnight, when the temperature dropped to 49*F.
We do not brumate her: she goes outside when the days are warm and comes in when the nights are 60* F or below. Last night hubby and I each thought the other had brought her in, but neither had.
I just found her inside her favorite hide. It's 11:30 am, her plastron registers 67*F and her carapace registers 69*F.
I have put her in the sun.
Should I soak her, or let her get her temps up more slowly???

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
It's now 11:50 am. She has very slowly crawled OUT of the half sun/half shade into an area of dappled shade.
i am going to leave her for now.
would appreciate suggestions.

SteveW

I have never left a Hermanns out overnight, but I have done so with similar species, most recently a Marginated. With a plastron reading of 67, I don’t think this is a problem at all. In fact that sounds like a completely appropriate overnight temp drop.
Regardless, I think warming up slowly in dappled shade is a great way to go.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
For a hermans I don't think that temp was too low. However, if she has never had temps that low over night before it may be a problem.
You know, an Arizonian would freeze in 65-70 degree temps, where as I from the northern states would not.
Just keep a closer eye on her and maybe make her favorite spot a little warm incase it happens again.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
49°F is a normal night temperature in Hermann habitats at this time of the year, why even bother to take her inside? o_O

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
49°F is a normal night temperature in Hermann habitats at this time of the year, why even bother to take her inside? o_O
At that night temps would they not be hibernating? I know nothing about Hermanns. But my Russian isn't suppose to have that cold or night temps.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
My 10-year old Hermann's tortoise, Elsa, got accidentally left out overnight, when the temperature dropped to 49*F.
We do not brumate her: she goes outside when the days are warm and comes in when the nights are 60* F or below. Last night hubby and I each thought the other had brought her in, but neither had.
I just found her inside her favorite hide. It's 11:30 am, her plastron registers 67*F and her carapace registers 69*F.
I have put her in the sun.
Should I soak her, or let her get her temps up more slowly???

Wow, I’m sorry about the little scare you had this am. I would have been just like that too. Glad you have got things going there and will be following this interesting discussion. As you know, Bea, I am the the RF type person so no 5 cents here from me, but i’m sure you get plenty of feedback from all over the place as this is very interesting:) glad Elsa is doing ok

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
At that night temps would they not be hibernating?
Definitely not. Even lower temperatures would be fine - as long as it's just at night.
Hibernation is over, it's this time of the year that wild Hermanns have their biggest growth spurt and are most active, even if the nights are still chilly. ;)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I have never left a Hermanns out overnight, but I have done so with similar species, most recently a Marginated. With a plastron reading of 67, I don’t think this is a problem at all. In fact that sounds like a completely appropriate overnight temp drop.
Regardless, I think warming up slowly in dappled shade is a great way to go.
Thanks, SteveW!:):<3:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
For a hermans I don't think that temp was too low. However, if she has never had temps that low over night before it may be a problem.
You know, an Arizonian would freeze in 65-70 degree temps, where as I from the northern states would not.
Just keep a closer eye on her and maybe make her favorite spot a little warm incase it happens again.
HAHAHA!!!!!! I know what you mean about the temps we're used to: as a southern gal, the MINUTE temperatures reach or drop below freezing it seems unnatural and scary to me!!!!!! :D:D:D

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Thanks, Wellington! :):<3:

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Because we don't let her brumate. We keep her in temps above 65*, and most often between 75-85 during the winter to keep her awake and active. So 49* is the lowest she's ever been. But all seems well.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Wow, I’m sorry about the little scare you had this am. I would have been just like that too. Glad you have got things going there and will be following this interesting discussion. As you know, Bea, I am the the RF type person so no 5 cents here from me, but i’m sure you get plenty of feedback from all over the place as this is very interesting:) glad Elsa is doing ok
Thanks, Pearly! :):<3: