Tortoise Medical Care

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Broward County
I'd like to get the community opinion on preventative care for my new Russian Tortoises. They are both about 2-3 inches long and I just bought them at a pet shop where I was told they were captive born. I've seen a lot of online references suggest I should have them examined by a vet but I'm reluctant to put them through the stress right now if it's not necessary. Any thoughts? Also, how often should I take them for routine checkups and what kind of exams should they be getting?

Thanks!

Patrick

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
what petstore did you buy them from?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Captive-born Russians are more expensive, from Petshops, than wild caught ones, which are usually brtween $75 and $140 (some members sell babies for a bit less, and that's a wise way to go if you hadn't already bought yours)....if you paid around those prices, they're likely wild-caught and getting 'em tested for worms/parasites ASAP could add years to their lives and save you a lot of $$$...not to mention adding to your peace of mind.

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
Terry Allan Hall said:
Captive-born Russians are more expensive, from Petshops, than wild caught ones, which are usually brtween $75 and $140 (some members sell babies for a bit less, and that's a wise way to go if you hadn't already bought yours)....if you paid around those prices, they're likely wild-caught and getting 'em tested for worms/parasites ASAP could add years to their lives and save you a lot of $$$...not to mention adding to your peace of mind.

I paid $170 for each. I'll look into whether they were really captive born... but assuming they are, what do you recommend for care?

pdelpizzo

10 Year Member!
Broward County
spikethebest said:
can you post some pics? we can probably tell if they are wild caught or captive bred.

Here are some photos of the tortoises.

IMG_9646.JPG
IMG_9651.JPG
IMG_9677.JPG
IMG_9683.JPG
IMG_9691.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.