Tortoise newbie! Help!

Pinkshdw

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Hi everyone! I just got my Hermann a few days ago and I’m a complete newbie to owning a tortoise. I did a lot of research before hand and am continuing to do research. I also watch Kamp Kenan on YouTube almost daily. (He’s awesome.) But I would love some knowledge you all hold!

I’m a little worried about my girl. She doesn’t seem very active. I’m not sure how old she is, but she’s small. Maybe an inch long? She eats and all that but it seems she sleeps a lot. When I got her the other Hermanns in the terrarium were active and climbing over each other to look at us but she was just in the center chilling. I have a basking light for her as well as UV and a heating mat under her hide which she seems to love. And am in the process of getting her an outside enclosure for when it gets warm out. She’s perked up when I give her a nice soak but when I put her back in her enclosure she just chills. Is it possible I just have a lazy girl or maybe she’s still getting used to her new home? I just want to make sure she’s as happy and healthy as possible.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Do your research on this forum. We have all the new correct info.
Please read the caresheet and adjust accordingly.
Babies do sleep a lot. They also do need time too get used to their new home. With a proper enclosure with proper heat, humidity and lighting this will go smoothly.