Need a little help (rubbing eyes)

Raquel1978

Location (City and/or State)
Swansea wales
I’m just after a little advice please.
Almost 2 weeks ago we got a baby Hermann tortoise .
Flash is doing really well she (I’ve decided to call her a she till I know otherwise) is eating really well she likes wandering around her house exploring the only thing I’m unsure about is how often should I mist her enclosure.

We live in wales in the uk and we are quite high up so we have a lot of bad weather so she is definitely a indoor tortoise for this reason.

I’ve also noticed every morning when I bath her she rubs at her eyes .Even tho I done a lot of research after reading some things on here I realised I am using the wrong substrates I’m using a mix of top soil and sand I’ve just ordered orchid bark fine as soon as this comes I’ll be swapping this over I’m just wondering if this could be the reason she’s rubbing at her eyes?..I’ve enclosed a pic of flash so you can see how cute she is ..

Attachments

• 6AD1DE0D-C2C1-45CD-AEA4-06EAB1FD5DDE.jpeg
    6AD1DE0D-C2C1-45CD-AEA4-06EAB1FD5DDE.jpeg
    249.4 KB · Views: 2

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She should be in a closed chamber with humidity of 80%. Pyramiding has started so the corrections are needed ASAP in order to stop it.
No one but you with a digital thermometer/ humidity gauge can say if it needs to be misted. With an open top enclosure, it will need misting several times a day to keep humidity where it needs to be. Temps and humidity is impossible to keep steady with an open top enclosure.
The sand could be the cause of the eye rubbing but so can the lights you may be using if they are the wrong kind. Do not use coil bulbs, halogen or mercury vapor bulbs.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello! Yes, she is cute without doubt :)

Yes, sand could be the reason of eyes irritation and I'm glad you've addressed this issue already.

Among the other things: wrong UVB lamps and excessively dry air (that's less likely in your case).

With properly set up enclosure there is no usually need in misting. You just need to pour some water in the corners of the enclosure to keep lower layers wet and top layer dry and then through evaporation you get required humidity levels.

Hence some more questions:
1. What kind of lights, UVB lamps and heating sources do you use?
2. Do you have open type enclosure (tortoise table) or closed type (tank, vivarium, some sort of cover over the table)?
3. What are temperatures and humidity in the enclosure?

(Dow! Wellington hit "Post reply" a minute earlier, that I did :) )

P.S. - Here is a good starting point for tortoise owners: https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/info-for-new-people-please-read-this-first.202363/
Also at the end of that post there is a link to a "Best way to raise moderate species tortoise", which is definitely a "must read" as well.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello Raquel and welcome from Devon. We have a Hermanns tortoise too -he is now 23, and doing pretty well, but there was very little information around to help us when we got him as a baby. IPlease read all the care sheets suggested, and take no notice of what pet shops or friends tell you - this forum is the very best place for up to date information, and also very kind and helpful people to talk to.
Flash is very cute, and I'm sure she will have a good life with you - our little Zola is absolutely wonderful, and I think Hermanns are the very best tortoises of all, in many ways! (I might be a bit biased !)
Best wishes from Angie

Raquel1978

Swansea wales
Thanks all for your replies I will definitely start doing some research on how to stop pyramiding …She is in a large wooden hand built tortoise house we have a roof as we have a very inquisitive young cat and we didn’t want to take any chances .
We are using a combined uva/uvb solar bulb on a dome shaped lamp holder the temperature is a consistent 31 and the humidity is a 55 sometimes 60…I’ve posted a picture of the type of roof she has..

Attachments

• 6C4DEADC-54CE-41A7-8768-FDAD2F53C068.jpeg
    6C4DEADC-54CE-41A7-8768-FDAD2F53C068.jpeg
    718.3 KB · Views: 1

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That's an open top table. That kind of lid is still open.
The uvb should be a tube florescent.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
1. You don't need to do much research on pyramiding as all preventive measures are outlined in Tom's care sheets linked above :)))
2. 31 degrees is a bit higher than comfort zone for Hermanns. They need cool and warm zones (ranging from 26-27C to 29C) and a basking spot area with temperature around 32-34C. Night temperatures could be 1-2C lower.
3. Humidity for hatchlings should be near 80%. For older tortoises 60-70%. To keep humidity high enough consider covering the enclosure with a hood/greenhouse top/aluminium foil - whatever you have at hand.
4. All in one lamps aren't well suited for tortoises and usually too drying for their shell. Simple incandescent (not halogen) flood bulb for the basking spot, T5 HO straight tube for UVB, simple LED lights strip for ambient lightning and CHE for heating at night is a combo which works well.