Tortoise keeps rubbing her eyes

Lucy1233

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi, I have a female Horsefield Tortoise who is nearly 1, had her for a few months now, but I’ve noticed recently she is rubbing her eyes a lot with her arms and I don’t know why. Everything else seems to be fine, I’m just not sure why’s she’s doing it and if it’s something I should be worried about.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, you'll need to give your enclosure a very close inspection. What light are you using? Is the substrate irritating the eyes? Do the eyes open all the way? Is there something stuck over the nasal openings?

Lucy1233

England
I’m using dust free wood pellets, I’ve used these since I got her and she seems fine with them. I’m looking into getting new UV light as the compact one isn’t good to use, I’ve turned it off for now and she seems to have stopped it a bit. She’s gone back to bed now so when she wakes up later I’ll have a closer look at her eyes and nose.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, that's the culprit. Some of those compact fluorescent bulbs are harmful to tortoise's eyes.

Lucy1233

England
I’ll get a new one as soon as possible and I’ll bring her to the vet to check her eyes too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's no need for a vet visit. Once you stop using that light the eyes will start to heal. It's something like snow blindness. It gets better over time. You can buy some ointment to sooth. I like to use this one that I buy online:

eye ointment b.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Get yourself a strip florescent lamp.
(The long tube type)
An 18" fixture is about $20.
An 18" tube is also about $20.
You can also find them together at pet shops for a few bucks more.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd also look into getting some substrate that can be kept a little damp. Dry substrate in a dry heated indoor enclosure leads to un-naturally low humidity. I prefer fine grade orchis bark, but coco coir or cypress mulch also work. No soil. No sand. No Pets At Home stuff with the sand, soil, and limestone bits in it.