tortoise plastron moving

Victoriab

Location (City and/or State)
England
I was giving my tortoise a bath and i noticed that her plastron moves when i press it gently similar to a plastic pringles lid. i’ve been searching for answers for around 2 weeks but i cant find anything. At first i thought it was just her plastron near her tail but now i realised that its her entire plastron. Shes around 2 years old and a hermann. Could it be because she hasnt had enough calcium? thanks

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Do you give her calcium? I am not an expert but the soft plastron could be from the lack of calcium

Victoriab

England
Do you give her calcium? I am not an expert but the soft plastron could be from the lack of calcium
unfortunately around 3 months my tortoise didnt have calcium for a while because i couldnt get any, now she has cuttlebone in her enclosure and i sprinkle some on her food though, she never seems interested in the cuttlebone

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
unfortunately around 3 months my tortoise didnt have calcium for a while because i couldnt get any, now she has cuttlebone in her enclosure and i sprinkle some on her food though, she never seems interested in the cuttlebone

What are you using for UVB?

Jan A

Boulder, CO
im not sure exactly but i think its an exo terra 100w
Welcome to the forum. Perhaps some photos & a little more info would help. It is good you have identified a concern, but it's hard to help diagnose w/o more info.

Are you regularly giving your tort calcium--how much & how often? What's the size of his indoor and/or outdoor enclosure & how much exercise does he get? Does he have trouble walking or supporting his weight? Is he dragging a leg? What are you feeding your tort? If he's kept indoors, do you have him in an open or closed enclosure? What are his temps & humidity in his enclosure? Is he routinely soaked & how often? Does he have any markings on his shell indicating a fungus or growth?

It is a 4-day holiday in the States, so some photos & more info from you regarding his care can help move this along. And again, welcome.

Last edited:

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Calcium is urgently required. Dust fresh veg with calcium. They can taste it and will try to eat around it. I use 2 varieties see pics weekly and also add about 6 of the granuals to the wet leaves as they rehydrate. You must not overdo the calcium but it must be an important focus for the forthcoming months. Also check light and UVA if an old bulb replace it as they can reduce over time.

Attachments

• IMG_20211128_093436_8.jpg
    IMG_20211128_093436_8.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11