Strange Plastron Indenting

Dustin

SO last night i had out my baby RF tortoise and her plastron appeared fine. But tooday i went to pick her up and she has some really strange dents in her plastron. humidity is always between 70-85% and heat is 85Fthrough out the tank and her basking spot is 90F. shes been eating and her shell also seems really soft. i know he/she is way to young to be indenting. could she just be a male?

Attachments

• IMG_0663.JPG
    IMG_0663.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0662.JPG
    IMG_0662.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0661.JPG
    IMG_0661.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 62

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
since the shell seems soft i'd ask are you offering natural unfiltered sunlight time? or do you have a UVB of any kind? do you give calcium supplement? do you soak regularly it's way to small to sex so i'd say something is wrong if the shell is soft how long have you had him/her

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, we need more info on the above questions. Way to little for it too be indenting because of its sex.

Dustin

ive only had her for a few days, when i first got her she didnt eat for about 4 days but now she is eating like a horse and there arent any other concerns and she is very active. im not currently giving her any supplements but i do have a few cuddlebones in her enclosure. and i also take her outside at least once a day when weather permits it. for about an hour or so.

Dustin

looking at her now after she has eaten the indents have gone away? this is so weird.

mikeh

5 Year Member
Most likely cause are substrate chunks the plastron was resting on over night. No worries on that.

I would question just how soft is the plastron? And is everything in UVB, calcium and temps department in order?

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
Is it just springing? I was told baby bellies are a little springy. I noticed when Mr. Binker was in need of a good soaking, usually when I picked him up for his daily soak, his plastron would be a little indented. But in the morning when I would pick him up to feed, the indent was gone.

Is your little one getting daily soaks?

Reptilelove

Plymouth
Soft shell isn't good :0 I have nightmares about it! He needs calcium and uvb!:)