Tortoise 'pond' ideas!

murphylinda57

Location (City and/or State)
Phoenix
I know this is kind of late, but maybe it will help someone in the future. I have a leopard tortoise , he's 18 inches long. I tried a kiddie pool that I cut down but its too flimsy. I tried a pot water dish but the largest I found was 19 inches.
Then today, I was at home depot and walked down the water heater isle and found a water heater pan that was 26 inches ! I had to buy a little sink plug to block the hole but this is perfect! Was totally not on purpose and I just happened to walk by it. Its 110 F here in phx today, and he sure is happy to have space to move around compared to what I had before that only gave him an inch of wiggle room . He can climb in at out no problem .

Attachments

• 20210606_140938.jpg
    20210606_140938.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20

murphylinda57

Phoenix
I know this is kind of late, but maybe it will help someone in the future. I have a leopard tortoise , he's 18 inches long. I tried a kiddie pool that I cut down but its too flimsy. I tried a pot water dish but the largest I found was 19 inches.
Then today, I was at home depot and walked down the water heater isle and found a water heater pan that was 26 inches ! I had to buy a little sink plug to block the hole but this is perfect! Was totally not on purpose and I just happened to walk by it. Its 110 F here in phx today, and he sure is happy to have space to move around compared to what I had before that only gave him an inch of wiggle room . He can climb in at out no problem .
The dish was $10 and the blue was $2.50. I have it above ground but , I may bury it into the ground later, might help keep the water cooler.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
What a find! That’s awesome. Your grass is so green and plush ? Is it artificial?

murphylinda57

Phoenix
What a find! That’s awesome. Your grass is so green and plush ? Is it artificial?
Yes its fake. I am not a fan, but I rent. The tortoise has a grassy area on the side with really wild grass. I would love for him to have real grass. The plan for him is I keep him until my godmother buys a house (which is as soon as she can find a reasonable one with him in mind) and together we are going to make him his own huge garden. I got him because a good friend passed away unexpectedly, I've been building him an outdoor house and I built him an indoor one too because he was sick (RI) when I brought him home. Its been such a journey with this beautiful creature, and I hope to fill his life will lush plants and a beautiful house. I am making him a detailed care book of his very own for any future owners he may have as he will outlive all of us. I've had to learn alot about him, so I'm trying to archive it for his future. The things we do for animals right? I'm actually recovering right now from a hand wound i got while building his house. Sad its going to sit until I recover, but this house is going to be totally worth it. Sorry post i long but thanks for reading all about sweetheart the tortoise !

Attachments

• 20210608_163104.jpg
    20210608_163104.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
Actually started one today in my outdoor enclosure. Just gonna add some river rocks inside and a solar fountain. Its just a wash machine drain pan
99FBBAD5-7658-49A3-891B-1A18F4678AB3.jpeg