Tortoise poop paper?

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Yesterday I was at the Toronto Zoo, and got this journal made of elephant poop as a souvenir.IMG_3228.jpg
They make it by taking the poop of animals with very high fibered diets and slightly undigested poop, like elephants, cows, horses, etc, removing contaminants like rocks and sticks, and boiling it to a pulp with other high fibered ingredients like hay. Here’s an excerpt from their site-
“All the animals that generate the poo that we require for our process have at least two things in common:

i. All are herbivores and have highly fibrous diets of bamboo, sugar cane, grasses, banana trees, leaves, twigs, fruits and/or various other plants and vegetation.

ii). All possess somewhat inefficient digestive systems that don’t completely digest and breakdown all the fibers that they eat. This results in a significant amount of fibers remaining intact when these animals poop.”https://www.poopoopaper.com/en/content/9-poop-to-paper-the-process

This got me thinking. While tortoises may not share that diet exactly, grass eaters like Sulcatas definitely have the grass down, and can have an extremely high fibered diet. This, along with the fact that their poop still looks very fibrous, makes me wonder if you could create paper out of tortoise poop.

I may try this if I decide that my parents won’t murder me for boiling poop in their pots, and when Curtis is officially outside full time and eating mostly grasses.

Thoughts?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's great that they have figured out a way to make money for the zoo. I wonder what it costs to make the paper and if they are making a profit.

(This is one instance where the "kids: don't try this at home" thing should be stressed)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
this reminds me of a time way, way back in the dark ages, when my husband and I took a trip to Tijuana, Mexico. I saw this really neat purse for cheap and bought it. When I got it home I realized it really, really stunk! My husband said it must have been made out of elephant a$$ h0l3s (he was rather crude). I put it up on the roof to let it air out, but no matter how long it stayed up there it still stunk to high heaven. I had to throw it away.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
this reminds me of a time way, way back in the dark ages, when my husband and I took a trip to Tijuana, Mexico. I saw this really neat purse for cheap and bought it. When I got it home I realized it really, really stunk! My husband said it must have been made out of elephant a$$ h0l3s (he was rather crude). I put it up on the roof to let it air out, but no matter how long it stayed up there it still stunk to high heaven. I had to throw it away.

LOL! If it makes you feel any better, the paper doesn’t stink at all. If anything, it smells faintly of grass. I think it might have something to do with the boiling process.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
I agree with @Cowboy_Ken. Buy some poop-boiling pots at Goodwill. That should keep you from getting prematurely evicted.

I don't know if you can get away with telling your parents you were just "sterilizing substrate" or not... Experiment on a day when 1. you can air out the house, and 2. when your parents aren't home.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
I agree with @Cowboy_Ken. Buy some poop-boiling pots at Goodwill. That should keep you from getting prematurely evicted.

I don't know if you can get away with telling your parents you were just "sterilizing substrate" or not... Experiment on a day when 1. you can air out the house, and 2. when your parents aren't home.

LOL, I’ll definitely keep that in mind ;)

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Parents " daughter what are you doing?"
Daughter "just making tortoise poop paper"
Parents " must be slang for drugs, where did we go wrong?"
There are all sorts of whacky words for drugs now, at my old school “hemp” and “hash” were used for marijuana. Also “ket” was a popular name for ketamine among the other kids. I’m glad I’ve left now:)

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Okay, now I'm beginning to wonder if we're onto something here... Has anyone heard about anaerobic digesters to turn cattle poop into biogas (methane) and usable byproducts? Large tortoises produce large amounts of poop, right?

C. Nelson

Grand Junction, CO
Okay, now I'm beginning to wonder if we're onto something here... Has anyone heard about anaerobic digesters to turn cattle poop into biogas (methane) and usable byproducts? Large tortoises produce large amounts of poop, right?

I just use my tort poop as fertilizer since I can't use any chemical fertilizer. That way it gets recycled.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
What do you plan to do with this paper, exactly?? It’s not the first hobby I’d bring up to potential new friends. :eek:

Lol, definitely not [emoji23]. The paper has a cool look to it and there are bits of hay decorating it, so I would probably just use it like regular paper. Heck, maybe I can open up an Etsy shop and sell it as “planet saving, non wood paper”. Elephant poop paper sells well enough, after all ;)

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Lol, definitely not [emoji23]. The paper has a cool look to it and there are bits of hay decorating it, so I would probably just use it like regular paper. Heck, maybe I can open up an Etsy shop and sell it as “planet saving, non wood paper”. Elephant poop paper sells well enough, after all ;)
Environmentally friendly, renewable resource... ;)