How to stop tortoises eating their own poop

qiangzhu

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
All my tortoises like eating their own poop. If I don't notice that and clean the poop as soon as possible, they will eat at least 2/3 of the poop. I feel this is unhealthy since the poop should contain many bad bacterials

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
I think all tortoises will eat their own feces if given the opportunity. I remember reading something a few years ago that it is beneficial for them. It may be disgusting for humans but in fact there are quite a few animals that eat their own feces or that of another. Tortoises are known for eating other animal’s feces; dog, cat, etc...

As long as it’s not due to a nutritional deficiency, or they are heavy in parasites, they should be okay.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
From what I understand, there are still beneficial nutrients in it. Torts can use these nutrients on the second trip through.

I don't think there is perpetual recycling potential though! ??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Female tortoises of some species, like sulcatas and DTs for example, leave feces in the nest. They bury it with the eggs. The babies eat this to introduce the beneficial bacteria into their GI tracts. I've seen video of a hatching DT where it literally dug up and out of the ground walked a few inches and started eating its mom's feces.

To stop them from doing this, soak more often. They will poop in the soak water and not have access to it.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
If you soak regularly, there won't be many poops in the enclosure. Even at 22, I soak Beasley every other day and she almost always poops while soaking. Very convenient!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Wow I am so lucky then mine likes to drop monsters in the soak or drop one on the trail then walk through it countless times!