Tortoise Reaching Sexual Maturity

ND135

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hi.

I have a RF and we visited the vet 2 weeks ago. The doctor indicated that she is 99% sure that my RF is male. I've noticed concaving starting and the base of the tail is wide. So I'm inclined to agree.

My question is uncomfortable and awkward..... I know he will begin humping. Is there something that I should put in the enclosure to help him do this safely? I do not plan to add a tortoise, but I'm not exactly sure how to help him along as he progresses into a sexually mature tot.

Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You don't really need to do anything. Be sure he has a big enclosure and lots of shade.
If the time comes that he gets crazy, then ask if there is anything you need/can do.
I have two male leopards and a male Russian. All housed separately. You wouldn't know anything about their sex by the way they act. They show no interest in humping anything. The leopards are both 12 years old and the Russian much older.
I even had female leopards at one time and one or both had mated back then. With no females around now, they act just fine.

ND135

Maryland
You don't really need to do anything. Be sure he has a big enclosure and lots of shade.
If the time comes that he gets crazy, then ask if there is anything you need/can do.
I have two male leopards and a male Russian. All housed separately. You wouldn't know anything about their sex by the way they act. They show no interest in humping anything. The leopards are both 12 years old and the Russian much older.
I even had female leopards at one time and one or both had mated back then. With no females around now, they act just fine.
Thanks!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Apart from my male leopard flashing occasionally he hasn't shown any interest in humping anything. It can be quite shocking when you see them flash for the first time - not a pretty site😱

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
My (almost definitely) female sulcata once mounted a lump of concrete and started "mating" with it, noises and all. She must really hate that concrete. In comparison, I haven't seen any kind of "male" behavior from my male Russian. Tortoises are weird :p