Tortoise recommended for first time owner/size questions :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupkate

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Sussex, United Kingdom
I was just wondering what is considered the recommended breed of Tortoise for a first-time Torty owner, and also how big said Tortoises can get? I'd just like to get a general rough idea so I make sure to get a suitable enough enclosure with lots of room. :)

Thank you! :tort:

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
Well depends how much space you have but species-there are no breeds in chelonia- common and relatively easy to care for include:
Red Foots-usually around 12 inches adult, max around 14/15 except for exceptional animals of certain localities
Horsfields-generally 9 inches max.
Hermann's-Depending on subspecies, can reach 11 inches
Spur Thigh/Greek Tortoise- Vary a lot in size due to subspecies, I would say 8-9 inches would be about the middle of the range for all the adult subspecies
Marginated-Up to 12 inches usually
Leopard-often 18 inches or more
These are probably the best starting tortoises, steer clear of sulcatas. Leopards may be too big as well, but it depends on the space you have available.

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I'm a tortoise newbie. I rescued a Sulcata and once I read about how big they get, I got super excited! I'm in the long haul.
My other is a Golden Greek. He's super outgoing, busy, eats everything eagerly and is currently only 6 inches. I'd definitely recommend a Greek.
He has a tort table that is pretty elaborate, and gets lots of time roaming the backyard in the sun and inspecting the house in the evenings.

Sandy in Oregon

No kids, no husband, just critters and I'm happy.

GeorgieOliviaMay

5 Year Member
I got my first tortoise a few months ago. He's a Horsefield and I have to say they are really easy to look after :)

ZombiiePoopp16

5 Year Member
Hermans, Russians or elongated torts. They stay small and can eat a varieties of veggies and or fruits.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I say any of the Mediterranean species, russian, hermans, greek, they are all fairly small and easy going tortoises. However keep in mind that just because they are a small species does not necessarily mean they need small enclosures, they still need fairly large places to roam.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like horsefields for first timers. Only get one, and build it a very large enclosure.

Hermanni would be my second favorite.

Irish

5 Year Member
Orlando Florida
My Russians and Greeks are real characters. You will need an outdoor pen 8x8 or larger, and no one has Ever posted that they wished they had built the pen smaller, though the opposite is often the wish. Make it predator and escape proof with a footer dug into the ground.

FLINTUS

5 Year Member
Watery Wiltshire in the UK
jjsull33 said:
I say any of the Mediterranean species, russian, hermans, greek, they are all fairly small and easy going tortoises. However keep in mind that just because they are a small species does not necessarily mean they need small enclosures, they still need fairly large places to roam.

Except for Egyptians of course if you classify them as Med torts-well since you're classifying the Russians as them.

ZombiiePoopp16 said:
Hermans, Russians or elongated torts. They stay small and can eat a varieties of veggies and or fruits.
Well not sure elongated are best. Still get to 12 inches and are usually WC and have hard care. Plus, out of the 3 you mentioned only the elongated eat fruits, and the bulk of the diet should be made up of weeds and flowers not veggies.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Hi. I rescued 2 Eastenrn Hermannis, from a friend. They're very friendly-especially the male--and active. They're small, so do not require as much room as Red- or Yellow-footed Torts, for example. Adults don't require high humidity and temps, like some of the Amazonian or African torts. Easy to care for and as they live on veggies, only. Here's some info: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-1000.html

Good luck!

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Thank you Flintus I was wondering when they talk sml torts I never hear about Egypt torts ( mine were getting lonely ) :)

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
You could do basically anything if you wanted. Just make sure you do your research BEFORE you buy your tortoise. I wouldn't do a sulcata Tortoise. Those can get HUGE.....
I have 2 Cherry Head Redfoot & getting another soon. They are BEAUTIFUL and I LOVE their colors. These are called the "DWARF" of a regular Redfoot Tortoise. So it is all up to what kind that catches your eye and what you think it beautiful to you :)
Cherry Heads love humidity so if you can keep the humidity up then go for a Cherry Head :) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.