Tortoise Rescue Q's

Status
Not open for further replies.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV.
Can someone with experience please explain to me the reasons behind going for a "non-profit" status or classification when setting up a tortoise rescue? I assume there's tax benefits, but around that, what's the reasoning? Pros, cons? If I was setting up a rescue with the intent to pay for it myself, what would be the reasons to go after a non-profit status? What are the (honest) drawbacks involving the govt when being a non-profit? Obama gets to come over whenever he wants to kinda thing?

chadk

10 Year Member!
I think a big part is donations. People like to donate to a cause, especially if they can use it as a tax write-off. And with employers like mine that will match funds, it is even more enticing...

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
If it requires 3 or more pages of paperwork a year, I think that's reason enough for me not to want non-profit status LOL.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Paperwork and $$ to get the status... But if you think you can really generate some donation cash flow, it would pay off in that way...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am not an expert but I believe you have to have a min. amount of land I think like 5 acres, I would imagine a lot of paperwork , Ask the clovis rescue lady on here she should know

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Any reason I couldn't get donations anyways? I know some people would only donate to non-profits, but to me, a rescue is a rescue and many of the non profits abuse the system anyways. I don't particularly care what their legal status is as long as they're taking in unwanted animals and finding them homes.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
There is no legal reason you can't get donations. I for one will not take cash donations, because I am not non-profit and cash donations are not deductible. If someone wants to donate to the vets office in my name, or donate supplies/food, I'll take it if I need it, otherwise I'll point them towards someone that does.

Status
Not open for further replies.