Tortoise scammer warning

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Warning: Tortoise scammers on the internet are starting up again!
There are photos with this reply that I received. The same photos that have been floating around the internet for several years. I'll try to post them later if I have time. This ad was on Hoobly this morning.

Thanks for the mail. We have babies to adults,males and females with
various sizes. They are well tamed and have their up to date document of their vet. We are located in damas,Cameroon. We are still willing to give the babies out to someone who can take very good care of them for me forever. All papers will accompany the puppies when shipped to you, Due to our long staying over here in Cameroon, and the bad weather my wife and I have concluded to get good home and care for our babies.Our tortoise are very healthy and also, legal papers including their CITES permit.. Take a look at our tortoise farm.Please feel free to question. We ship World wide.We are about 50 tortoses available and if you order more than 10 we add you one additional tortoses.Prices listed below are included with their shipping fee

RADIATED TORTOISE,

BABY $345
JUVENILES $450
SUB ADULTS $260
ADULTS $270

GALAPAGOS TORTOISE

BABY $380
JUVENILES $470
SUB ADULTS $150
ADULTS $380

SULCATA TORTOISE,

BABY $185
JUVENILES $145
SUB ADULTS $199
ADULTS $235

LEOPARD TORTOISE

BABY $165
JUVENILES $245
SUB ADULTS $285
ADULTS $350

RUSSIAN TORTOISE,

BABY $245
JUVENILES $295
SUB ADULTS $260
ADULTS $310

EGYPTIAN TORTOISES,

BABY $165
JUVENILES $230
SUB ADULTS $200
ADULTS $250

We also have the
following species,

Greek Tortoise,
Marginated Tortoise,
Pancake Tortoise,
Homopus Tortoise,
Chersina Tortoise,
Hermann Tortoise,
Elongated Tortoise,
Redfoot Tortoises,
Star Tortoises.

Please keep us posted with the breed of Tortoise you need so that we
can send more information.

thanks,
Marcin.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Sounds like a good deal, subadult Galaps for less than subadult sulcatas? I'm in!

A customer of mine recently sent money (around $400 via Western Union) to a guy that sent her a similar price list, with photos from my website attached. She had asked him why he was using my photos, and he insisted they were his, so she sent him the money. After a week or two not getting a tortoise in the mail, she contacted me to explain what happened, and turns out it was a complete scam. This guy was using the e-mail address [email protected], and calling himself Jeff Gee (trying to pretend to be the Jeff Gee from AZ), but the real Jeff knew nothing about it until the customer and I brought it up to him. She had sent the money to a Western Union in Florida.

This was just about a month ago, early January.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I wonder if it's the same person, or a group of people. It's all just copy and paste, I've seen this same response and price list verbatim from a bunch of different sites. What's the email address? I want to place an order for 1,000 radiateds and 1,000 galapagos.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Neal said:
I wonder if it's the same person, or a group of people. It's all just copy and paste, I've seen this same response and price list verbatim from a bunch of different sites. What's the email address? I want to place an order for 1,000 radiateds and 1,000 galapagos.

I think you're right because last year they had the same ad for different breeds of puppies, and in the above quoted ad they forgot to change "puppies" to tortoises in one spot.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Coincidently, the photos that I received with the reply were the same as those of the supposed "Macedonian tortoise farm" that were circulating about a year ago.

I guess the scammers never give up!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
GBtortoises said:
I guess the scammers never give up!

It makes me wonder how many people are falling for these things, if they're kept it going for so long.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Here's an example of some links, from the same guy that ripped off my past customer:

http://denver.olx.com/we-have-aldab...ated-tortoises-albino-burmese-py-iid-71897570

http://classifieds.agriscape.com/ad/163612/en/

Some of you will recognize the photos he has on the ad(s), taken from various people's sites (at least one photo is Jerry Fife's, some are Jeff Gee's). I found these by just putting "[email protected]" into Google. He's still at it. Hotmail does nothing to stop this, they were notified about this past incident multiple times.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
they do it with any animal.. or breed of dog. its almost always cameroon..
I saw something on tv about teh scammers.. they actually 'go to work' in a room with lots of computers and they sit there all day
trying to get people to send money on these scams.
very sad. many people get taken... $$$

kimby37

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
emysemys said:
Neal said:

I think you're right because last year they had the same ad for different breeds of puppies, and in the above quoted ad they forgot to change "puppies" to tortoises in one spot.

I was wondering as i read that why it said papers come with the puppies when shipped.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
scammers will always exist, why do you think the king of nigeria contacted me, all I got to do is give him all my personal info and I am rich. I do like the price on galaps though.

did the puppies come with a buy 10 get 1 free offer?

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
dmmj said:
did the puppies come with a buy 10 get 1 free offer?

Yes, I'm still waiting for mine in the mail though. Should be here any day now.

Status
Not open for further replies.