Tortoise staying in the heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
This is my first tortoise and when his behavior changes I get worried. For the last 24 to 36 hours my tort has remained in the heat. Always on the hot side of his enclosure. That is the side with the MVB. He does use a humid hide, but the temp in there is 90+. He absolutely doesn't go to the cooler side of the enclosure. I am a bit worried because until now he has gone to the cooler side to nap where there is a hide and the temps are 75-80F.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Joe: Have any of his other habits changed? Still eating well, etc.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Yvonne, he is still eating normal. He hasn't pooped in 48 hours. It is interesting because he has dug a hide into the substrate (coconut coir) to where it is really moist (100% humidity) and there he stays. All I have done is to cover where he has dug with a plastic bowl with a cut out for a door. I have taken him out twice today for soaking just to be sure he isn't dehydrating.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Do you follow Tom's guidelines for raising healthy sulcata hatchlings? (Just for my info...no rule says you HAVE to follow them) Usually when you soak the tortoise he'll poop, and if you're soaking every day its a wonder he hasn't pooped in 48 hours.

I guess you just have to adopt a wait and see attitude. If he's eating and acting normal otherwise, I guess he's just enjoying the warm.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Mine do this too sometimes. As they grow, I'll occasionally see a change in their usual pattern. Sometimes it changes back after a few days, sometimes it stays that way for a while.

Feed him some aloe, squash or pumpkin. That stuff will act as a laxative. I usually grate the squash and pumpkin. Try a longer soak tomorrow. Go for an hour or more. Just make sure to keep refreshing the water so it stays warm.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Thanks Tom and Yvonne. To the best of my ability I follow Tom's guidelines. I have made a few mistakes (like not having an accurate thermometer) and have tried to learn from them. Pumpkin is difficult to find right now, but I will get some squash for him tomorrow. Until then I will just keep him warm and humid.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
What is the actual temp where he is staying? I guess not always 90+, but probably a lot of time in the mid to upper 80s. I think this is very normal for a hatchling. I hardly ever see mine go in the 70s except when he is in a pacing mood. But...do you have a moderate temperature hide? Something in the mid to low 80s? If he is always staying in that hot & humid hide, and you only have that and a cold hide, he may want something in between...a hatchling will seek shelter over food or thermoregulating many times. As far as weird behavior, I too take the wait and see approach. If my tort eats daily, I leave him alone. If he skips, he gets taken out of his hide and placed in a hide between the food and basking spot.

I don't think 48 hours between poops is unusual at all...sometimes there are a few days between, sometimes a few in one day! With food and activity a bit down, this is expected. I cal lit going through a funk when my tort has a couple off days where he doesn't do much. My theory is its pressure changes. In winter in the PNW my tort does this a lot. You just have to rule everything else out. A bit of this comes with some experience (and no I'm not an expert), so until then, its good to ask questions so you can get a feel for it. You can get organic pure canned pumpkin at places like Whole Foods. Easy to feed and it helps hydrate them too. I freeze extra (you can even use an ice cube tray, filled up to a point of dingle servings). I'd give about half a teaspoon to a hatchling with a bit of greens. Good luck!

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Kate, you reminded me that I had some canned pumpkin that I bought over a month ago. I am really new to raising a tort and changes in behavior make me think that something has gone wrong. I'll feed him the pumpkin tomorrow and we will see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.