Summer HEAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
While I'm trying to get an outdoor enclosure together, Franklin is still living inside in his table, but it is so hot. The outside temps in VA where I live are in the high 90s-100+ daily. I only have a window AC unit, but I've been keeping the door to his room closed so he doesn't catch a cold draft. His "cooler" side has been staying at 85-95 degrees. Is this too hot? I Always leave the window open in his room so there can be some air flow, (it's a 1920's house and the air can get a little stagnant), but even at night when it can drop down to 75, the temp stays pretty high. I started thinking it was too hot because he stays in his hide a lot, just peeking out. At least it's humid here. It's usually at about 80%.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Crystal Unicorn
If he lived in his home of origin, the day time temp is 120+ and the night time temps drop to the high 90's. This is perfect Sulcata Weather! They may hide for a while but they do get active as well. WalkingRock will stay in his Bunker thru the heat of the day but then, in the evening as it starts cooling down he starts walking....and walking...and walking, stopping occationally to graze. I've seen him out as early as 5 am grazing the dewy grass

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with Zamric. Theydo get less active when temps climb past a certain point, but it should hurt anything. The largest producer of baby sulcatas in the US lets his ambient in the baby room get up to 96 everyday before the swamp coolers kick on. And they still have a basking light at that temp.

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
My guys hide when it get over 90, but come out early evening to eat and seem to love when the sprinklers come on twice a day. The weather here in Missouri has been very hot this week and they have no problem as long as they have some shade to hide in.

Livingstone

10 Year Member!
Richmond, Va
I want to ask guys like Tom and Zamric who have had sulcata's for a long time (no age jokes implied), what are the warning signs of over heating? I thought that when you saw wet eyes, or salivating and rubbing it on the front legs that these were indicators of an over heating tortoise. I think what would be helpful is to know what to look for in an animal so you can act before there's a problem.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have heard foaming at the mouth, but never seen it personally. During one particularly hot day a couple of years ago (112f) my big male started frantically running around, found a spot in the shade and started digging wildly. It seems he got too hot and his instinct told him to get underground, and fast. I put the hose on him and made a nice big mud puddle and he settled down in about 10 seconds. It worried me a bit, but he never did it again, even when we've had temps like that. For some reason he comes out and walks around in the sun when all the other ones have enough sense to go to the shade and sleep under a tree or bush.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Now that you mention it I do notice he's moving around a little earlier and later. I've been adjusting feelings to meet that schedule because any food put out during the heat of the day gets wasted mostly. More notes for my tortoise journal to remind me for all the years to come!

image-530426338.png

:)

Attachments

• image-2925998724.png
    image-2925998724.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • image-981996282.png
    image-981996282.png
    349.3 KB · Views: 4
  • image-1733665491.png
    image-1733665491.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 4