Heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAC8671

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego CA
Can the weather be too hot for a sully?

It's been hot and humid here this week in San Diego. Today is supposed to be the hottest day of the week with temps well over 100. Yesterday was pretty hot with a temp of 90 at the beach, and that's almost unheard of.

I know they are "desert" tortoises, but this is not what Ralph is accustomed to. He's not grazing as he usually does. I'm not too worried because he is out and about, poops, pees, everything is normal otherwise. I just am figuring he's hot. He will go to the back corner of my yard on the cement and lay in the shade for most of the day.

He has a daily supply of water that he can soak in. I also hose him down for about 20 min a day, since his water bowl isn't large enough for him to kick the water onto his back. It's large enough for him to fit in to soak, but nothing else.

So do you think that the heat can affect them in a negative way?

Also, the temps are supposed to drastically change by the weekend, with the highs getting to be about 77-78 and the lows back down to the mid 50's. With such severe changes, would this affect his health at all? (Like myself when weather changes that drastically I usually get a cold and/or my allergies kick up full force.)

I will be on vacation from Thurs-Mon. I have family staying at my house to care for the animals. I've given her all the instructions for all the pets (including turning the heat lamp back on at night when the temps drop).

I'm not too worried, just a thought that popped into my head. Ralph is a pretty hearty sully, 25 pounds 6 yrs old in Oct. Outside 24/7.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
To me, at 25lbs. and 6 years---the dramatic changes in temps SHOULD not be a really big concern--- providing that with temps outside consistantly over 95--he has ample shade[maybe an additional hide nearer to the concrete] and MORE than ample fresh water source. And then the same thing in reverse for when the temps drop---with ample hides for shelter and heat source. I do know when they are starting to get heat-stressed, you may see more salivation,which they will "smear" on their front legs, in an effort to cool-down. If this should happen, I think some inside time is necessary--along with a TEPID soak[room temp water] for short intervals to help get body temp closer to normal. JMO

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As long as they have shade and access to water they should be fine. Mine have lived outside here in the high desert for the last 7 years, since they were about 5. Temps are over 100 almost every day throughout the entire summer from the end of June to the beginning of Oct. most years. They adjust their activity schedual depending on the weather. On hot days, like today and yesterday (112-114) they just hang out in the shade and sit still. I hose them and give them a mud wallow too.

Status
Not open for further replies.