How hot is too hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have my little guys in an outside enclosure during the day, its getting to be in the 90's here in so.cali and the temps in the enclosure can get high 90 low 100. Im working on trying to get some more air flow so it cools off better, but how hot is too hot for them? They have a water bowl to sit in if they need too, and they have started to dig, im guessing to get away from the heat.

here is a pic of the enclosure, the screen has been repalced with hardware cloth.

P1010169.jpg

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if they are digging in then they might be too hot. hatchlings or smaller torts cant regulate temp as well. They can 'cook' even if they have a water source. in the wild they would hide during the heat of the day in a burrow and only be out inthe am or late day. you might need to bring them inside unless you can shade it better or get more air flow.

desertsss

5 Year Member
I am curious about this as well. Right now my ac is broken and it gets up to 90 in my house. I don't use their heat lamp right now during the day, but I don't know how to give them a colder area to balance out.
The humidity is staying good and I mist them down as well to cool them, but don't want them to be uncomfortable.

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
Drill ventilation holes in the solid parts. Then cover the holes with the hardware cloth to keep out rodents. You will get air flow but still be secure.

Dawna

chadk

10 Year Member!
What is the substrate and how deep is it? If they can borrow and have plenty of shade, I'd think they should be fine. Just make sure to keep the soil moist and provide fresh water in the shade as well.

is the box exosed to the sun all day? You may want to consider a partial sun shade that might give them a break from direct sun in the afternoon. Morning sun for basking should be good enough.

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Not sure the age of them, had one for 5 months and one for 8 months, if i had to guess the age i would say from under 2 years to 1 year???? they are not permanently kept out side, right now they are inside; this is thier outside enclosure so they have more room and a larger space. Was thinking once it permanently warms up here that they could stay outside 24/7.the substrate is organic planting soil on top of dirt, its as deep and the crust of the earth. the box isnt exposed to sun all day, being next to the wall its exposed in the early morning till about 2pm after that its in the shade of the wall.

chadk

10 Year Member!
Sounds pretty good to me. Again, keep the soil moist. Maybe add in some peat moss to help retain the moisture. They don't need it soaking wet, just something moist they can dig down to. If you are putting your finger in all the way and it comes up dry, add water. Maybe plant a good tort seed mix as well.

Remember that they can dig pretty deep, so be sure they don't escape that way.

tczar

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
el paso tx
bsr8129 said:
I have my little guys in an outside enclosure during the day, its getting to be in the 90's here in so.cali and the temps in the enclosure can get high 90 low 100. Im working on trying to get some more air flow so it cools off better, but how hot is too hot for them? They have a water bowl to sit in if they need too, and they have started to dig, im guessing to get away from the heat.

here is a pic of the enclosure, the screen has been repalced with hardware cloth.

P1010169.jpg

your torts should be just fine in those temperatures night and day. i would leave them out in the nightime as well if the soil is dry. my thougths are that to many people want to keep their torts from burrowing when that is really their natural instinct and habitat. i do think that fresh air is good and they should have good ventilation. my concern rests with that mammal in the corner of your picture, he looks like he is on the prowl. :)

desertsss said:
I am curious about this as well. Right now my ac is broken and it gets up to 90 in my house. I don't use their heat lamp right now during the day, but I don't know how to give them a colder area to balance out.
The humidity is staying good and I mist them down as well to cool them, but don't want them to be uncomfortable.

they do live in africa, could be a little hotter there, they will be fine with ventilation

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One of the signs to watch for in an over-heated tortoise is foaming at the mouth. If that occurs, cool down the tortoise by bringing it into the house and bathing with tepid water.

Yvonne

bsr8129

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I think i am going to open the back up a little bit let air flow in and out without too much restriction. i do have one plant in there, forgot what it was, and there is tort seed that i planted starting to sprout up, i should take a pic of the inside. The soil is moist from wattering but not soaking wet.

With the brick wall and rail road ties on the sides, and i have placed a 8 inch deep boards on the ends to keep them from digging their way out.

Yea thats my dog has to be in every picture i take, she pretty much ignors the enclosure unless im doing something to it.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I would be especially sure to check the temperature at substrate level at the hottest part of the day, not just ambient air temperature. Adding more moisture to the top of the substrate if needed can help keep them cooler (they are probably digging down to the more moist soil). Also check the water bowl twice a day because if it's the typical shallowness for torts, it will quickly evaporate.

Status
Not open for further replies.