How hot is too hot ?

Razan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Riverside, CA
This is our 2nd summer with Sherman. We are continuously improving his living space, slow and steady adding plants, more shade and such.

In his night box how hot is too hot for him ?

June 21 1016 311.JPG

Now there is an additional green shade on top. This photo only has wire mesh on top, hard to see and not enough for proper shade. Grape plants at the bottom of each post too.

Sun hits 2 sides early in the day and it gets to 88 or 90.
Inside is a thermostat but I do not know how hot is too hot for him ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Over 100 is too hot. They are just like us in that regard. They like to have a body temp in the 90's, but once they start getting much over 100, they can suffer brain damage or death just like us.

Razan

5 Year Member
Riverside, CA
Over 100 is too hot. They are just like us in that regard. They like to have a body temp in the 90's, but once they start getting much over 100, they can suffer brain damage or death just like us.

Thank you for your response. Before putting shade over his box it had gotten up to 115. Once I saw it reading 132 but that must have been a low battery reading at the time, or so I hoped. Now his highest is 90.

Thank you for clarifying any misunderstanding and pointing out that he is not invincible to the heat.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
This is our 2nd summer with Sherman. We are continuously improving his living space, slow and steady adding plants, more shade and such.

In his night box how hot is too hot for him ?

View attachment 178466

Now there is an additional green shade on top. This photo only has wire mesh on top, hard to see and not enough for proper shade. Grape plants at the bottom of each post too.

Sun hits 2 sides early in the day and it gets to 88 or 90.
Inside is a thermostat but I do not know how hot is too hot for him ?

What an AWESOME looking space....fantastic....do you have a mud/soaking spot dug out for him in the space? Do you have a sprinkler set up to go off a couple of times a day? Perhaps that would offer up some micro climate type areas to offer relief, if they are set up to happen the same time each day, he will head to the spots in no time...right on schedule....

With all of that height over his box, You can also do a double shade roof over the box to offer a bit deeper shade, or you can add a couple strong shelves above the box area and secure heavy shade plants that will drape down over the box....and when you water them there will run off and coolness....just saying is all??? Beautiful tort by the way....

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Your tort is lucky to have all that space. GOD bless.

I'd be careful if the sun is hot. A week ago the country went through a HEATWAVE and temperature exceeded 40 degrees C; which is VERY HOT. I noticed Oli was avoiding the sun, and roaming around in the shade.