Tortoise still not eating!

speedyTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
North Carolina
Hey everyone, I am having a lot of trouble feeding my tortoise. We moved him to a new enclosure a few weeks ago, and he is also trying to hibernate and is very sluggish. He stays in his hide all day besides the times I take him out and try to feed him. I am currently trying to get him used to eating radicchio and endive. I also give him some butter lettuce so as not to completely through him off. But, he barely eats, and for the past few days he hasn’t eaten at all! So, I tried giving him some carrots and pepper to see if he was just being stubborn, and he was! So, what should I do?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Be sure the enclosure is brightly lighted. Be sure, using a digital thermometer and get a infrared temp gun to be sure all temps are correct according to this forums recommended temps. Do not let night temps get low. I'm assuming this is a Russian or Hermann's? Temps to keep them up should not be lower than 70 at night.
Soak him daily and feed right after the soak.
Don't panic. Remember, if he were brumating, he would not eat for about 3 months. Keeping him hydrated is important.

speedyTortoise

North Carolina
Be sure the enclosure is brightly lighted. Be sure, using a digital thermometer and get a infrared temp gun to be sure all temps are correct according to this forums recommended temps. Do not let night temps get low. I'm assuming this is a Russian or Hermann's? Temps to keep them up should not be lower than 70 at night.
Soak him daily and feed right after the soak.
Don't panic. Remember, if he were brumating, he would not eat for about 3 months. Keeping him hydrated is important.
Alright, thank you. Usually in my posts I mention that he is a Russian, sorry. His temps usually don’t get lower than 70, sometimes 69 but usually 70 or 71. I try to feed him right after soaks, but he is completely distracted and trying to dig. For his soaks, I put him in a plastic tub with warm water and let him run in it. Is this the right way to do it?

SuzanneZ

Georgetown
Alright, thank you. Usually in my posts I mention that he is a Russian, sorry. His temps usually don’t get lower than 70, sometimes 69 but usually 70 or 71. I try to feed him right after soaks, but he is completely distracted and trying to dig. For his soaks, I put him in a plastic tub with warm water and let him run in it. Is this the right way to do it?
Sounds right. The water should be as deep as where the top and bottom parts of the shell meet.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You said "his temps usually don't get lower than 70". Is this day and night? Too cold for the day. This may be your problem. His day temperatures are wrong, that will stop him eating and cause sluggishness.

speedyTortoise

North Carolina
You said "his temps usually don't get lower than 70". Is this day and night? Too cold for the day. This may be your problem. His day temperatures are wrong, that will stop him eating and cause sluggishness.
No, I meant at night. During the day he has a basking spot, warm side, and cool side. He’s getting better though. Yesterday he let me feed him radicchio and endive, and for thanksgiving I gave him some carrot as a treat!