Tortoise Substrate

Batman4740

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Huntsville
Can I use a mixture of Cypress mulch and peat moss in my Redfoot and Elongated enclosures? Thanks so much.
Scott

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Can I use a mixture of Cypress mulch and peat moss in my Redfoot and Elongated enclosures? Thanks so much.
Scott
Avoid moss entirely.
It DOES hold in moisture. And that's why many people try it. But it very often gets eaten and can't be digested and causes internal blockages

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Use orchid bark or coconut coir. Not the mulch, there could be all kinds of junk in it that you don't want with your tortoises
Also, you do know the two species you have should not be living together in the same enclosure right? Species should never be mixed and they need different care.

Batman4740

5 Year Member
Huntsville
Yes they are in different enclosures. The mulch is organic and I have seen several people on YouTube use the very same mulch in there enclosures. I was just wondering should I mix something with it? Thanks so much.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Orchid bark and coconut coir are highly recommended and carry the least or no problems, other stuff always has drawbacks that can be harmful to your tortoise, more or less.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Yes they are in different enclosures. The mulch is organic and I have seen several people on YouTube use the very same mulch in there enclosures. I was just wondering should I mix something with it? Thanks so much.
Please be careful on following advice from a person in YouTube...the best and most currant advice is found right here...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Scott
Long fibered peat moss will be eaten and can cause impaction. The dirt-like stuff can burn their plastron, so it shouldn't be used either.

Cypress mulch can work, but the trick with RFs is to have a dry surface on your substrate to prevent shell rot, while the lower layers remain damp for humidity. Orchid bark is best for this. You can buy it in bulk at local nurseries. Not hardware stores, but actual plant nurseries. If they don't have it, ask them to special order it. You can also buy it online from Chewy.com or Petco.com in 24 quart bags.

YT, FB, Reddit, and even most books, vets and breeders are all going to give you bad info. Read this:

Batman4740

5 Year Member
Huntsville
Will Exo Terra Forest Bark work? Should I use it by itself or mix with eco earth or coconut coir? Again thanks to everybody.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Will Exo Terra Forest Bark work? Should I use it by itself or mix with eco earth or coconut coir? Again thanks to everybody.
Yes. That is fir bark. There is no need and no point in mixing substrates.