Tortoise tables

Location (City and/or State)
Lewisville, Texas
Before I ordered my sulcata tortoise, i saw tortoise table setups, but with open tops, how do they hold humidity? What tortoises are there that require so little humidity that they can have an open enclosure? Genuinely curious, because even my desert dwelling sulcata hatchling needs heavy humidity.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They don't.

I have tables built on the walls of my tortoise sheds. In order to keep it more humid in the tables, I have stapled sheet plastic to the walls to drape down over the table. It's not nearly as good as a "closed chamber" but it's totally better than an open table. Just a minute and I'll go get a picture. . .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most of the stuff stores sell for animals is crap. Just st because its made and sold doesn't very mean it's good to use or good for anything.
Those tables/cages for tortoises are a waste of money and not big enough or made with proper tortoise housing in mind.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok, here's my covered tort table in the shed. This is a YF baby I hatched from an egg. He's a couple years old now:

covered tort table a.jpg covered tort table b.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
So, I imagine if you bought a pre-made tort table you can jury rig some sort of cover for it, but for the $$ spent, you could probably build a closed chamber.

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
IMG_2999.jpg
The square cover has a strong screen that is wrapped with a Dollar store shower curtain.

Lewisville, Texas
Most of the stuff stores sell for animals is crap. Just st because its made and sold doesn't very mean it's good to use or good for anything.
Those tables/cages for tortoises are a waste of money and not big enough or made with proper tortoise housing in mind.
Agreed. Saw a triangular box at petco that was being sold as a tortoise
View attachment 254406
The square cover has a strong screen that is wrapped with a Dollar store shower curtain.
where are the lights at?