tortoise travel

chrisdemarco

Location (City and/or State)
london
i am adopting a 1yo Hermann's from a breeder who lives a 1 and a half hours from me by car.
How do I travel with the tortoise in the car? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Just put in in a box with a lid with some substrate and go. Just be sure the wind from opened windows don't blow in on the tort.
1 1/2 hours is nothing.

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome from Devon. Our Hermann's tortoise loves going in the car, and travels everywhere with us - sitting on my lap, with a towel and plastc sheet underneath him. I'm not suggesting you do that, but just to say he won't come to any harm ! I would put a good layer of paper towels underneath him, as well as substrate, as he may poo, and if you are on your own, fasten the box on to a seat, so he won't feel the vibrations as much. If you have someone with you, they can hold the box on their lap, but don't keep looking at him -just leave him alone. Also, when you get home, put him straight into his hide in his new enclosure, and just leave him to settle. Maybe he will come out later for a look round, maybe not.
Best wishes from Angie

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Actually when you get him home, give him a warm soak for 20-30 minutes and then put him in his enclosure and have food in there. Then leave him be until tomorrow. Then start your routine with him.
He may not want to eat, he may just hide away. It takes some tortoises a while to get used to the strange place. Once they realize they are safe, they will start acting normal.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i am adopting a 1yo Hermann's from a breeder who lives a 1 and a half hours from me by car.
How do I travel with the tortoise in the car? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.
Dark plastic box with a lid. They all pee and poo in the car and you want to contain it. Keep the car warm in transit. I use towels for this, but substrate is fine too, if you have the right type. Do not use paper towels.

The tortoise will likely empty out in the first few miles, and you might want to bring an extra towel or two and a plastic bag to contain the dirty one in.

Have the enclosure set up and ready BEFORE you go get the tortoises. Be sure you got the correct info for your set up and that you are not using the wrong bulbs, wrong substrate and wrong size enclosure, which almost everyone over there is. The pet shops, breeders and vets all have the wrong info. The pet shops sell you dangerous products that could kill your tortoise in some cases.

Here is the correct care info. Check this before you go get the new tort. Look for the temperate care sheet near the bottom.

chrisdemarco

london
Thank you guys for all the advice 😁
Just a concern is that i do have a box with a lid that is actually leakproof- but its only the size of a shoebox! Is this too small?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Let us know how it all goes and please post some pictures of your tortoise and his enclosure after he has settled down!