Tortoise troubles (questions about a new RT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

katmk10

5 Year Member
Yesterday I bought a horse field tortoise it's a baby, the woman told me not to soak the tortoise but to spray it with a little water is this correct ? He seems very sleepy and not sure what is wrong he has been in his hide away from the light for a while? Is it just cos he is in a new home ? The temp of the tortoise table is 90 ... Also how many times shall I feed the tortoise too as the woman said every other day ? Thanks

Attachments

• image-4239005112.png
    image-4239005112.png
    199.5 KB · Views: 23

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
RE: Tortoise troubles

Hello and WELCOME:D. I don't know about your species. So I will wait for others to tell whether spraying is all you need. As far as feed, i feed my tort every day. Most do.

byles01

5 Year Member
Ohio

katmk10 said:
Yesterday I bought a horse field tortoise it's a baby, the woman told me not to soak the tortoise but to spray it with a little water is this correct ? He seems very sleepy and not sure what is wrong he has been in his hide away from the light for a while? Is it just cos he is in a new home ? The temp of the tortoise table is 90 ... Also how many times shall I feed the tortoise too as the woman said every other day ? Thanks

russians do need to soak, not only does it help them hydrate but also promotes proper bowel movements, temps sould be around 95 for basking and 70 to 80 for regular daytime temps, they can go as low as 60-65 at night. as far as feeding i know they are prone to overeating but tey should still be offered food daily i would think, just watch the amounts. there are lots of care sheets on Horsefield or Russian torts on the web

oh sorry forgot, he might be stressed a little from the movement into a new habitat

M

Maggie Cummings

I pretty much agree with byles01. I am not sure where that not feeding every day thing came from, but frankly if it's a very young baby like yours, I feed twice a day. Morning and night and I soak every day. He will be stressed from moving like he just did. They get used to one place and that's 'home' now he's been moved from his home so he will be upset for a few days, even as long as a week. But just treat him gently, don't come on him all the sudden and scare him...and he'll be fine.

Jacob

5 Year Member
California

Welcome to the forum, like mentioned already your new baby is most likely stressed out from the big move in around a week he will be active eating and acting like itself :)
I would soak daily to every other day and leave fresh food and water out daily.
What are your temps?

M

Maggie Cummings

katmk10 said:
How long shall I soak him for ?

If they don't drink in the first 10 minutes they are not gonna drink. So 15 minutes is it for mine. But Russians are more afraid of soaking then most other species so you may see a lot of splashing so in a given situation I will place my hand flat totally under him and give some support, it makes them feel safer some how...

katmk10

5 Year Member

also the heat lamp and the uv how long should they be left on for ? Okay thanks for the info I will soak him tomorrow as he is asleep now and I will let you know how I get on ? Will he poop when being soaked ?

Also guys when should he be soaked ? Should it be at a specific time and should I feed him straight after 😊

byles01

5 Year Member
Ohio

katmk10 said:
How long shall I soak him for ?

about 10 minutes each time

katmk10 said:
also the heat lamp and the uv how long should they be left on for ? Okay thanks for the info I will soak him tomorrow as he is asleep now and I will let you know how I get on ? Will he poop when being soaked ?

Also guys when should he be soaked ? Should it be at a specific time and should I feed him straight after 😊

generally he will pee when being soaked, i usually leave my uv and daytime bulbs on for 12 hours and off with just a heat source for 12, they need the down time to be able to process the vit. D they get from the light.

Status
Not open for further replies.