Tortoise troubles

creygout

It is my first time having tortoises and I got two baby's last November. I do every thing I can for them to be happy and healthy but both of their shells are pyramiding and they have started to fight. I really do not want to have to get rid of one of them as it will break my heart but I need to concentrate on making them happier. It is not for deffinate yet but I was wondering if any one in the uk would be interested in one of them to make them as happy and healthy as can be. I live in surrey if any one lives close? I do not want to return to the pet shop as they gave me a lot of wrong information and I don't believe they will get healthier being there. Thanks for any offers of help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Why don't you just set up another habitat?

Quite a few UK members allow their tortoises outside in the garden quite a bit. And I think Hermann's hibernate, so they probably could be outside for a long time before needing indoor quarters. Outside in a large garden with plants and hiding places and the two would probably get along much better.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

creygout

Well I can't really leave them outside as I live in England so isn't it too cold for them? Or would I have a heater outside with them?

Yourlocalpoet

5 Year Member
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
It is my first time having tortoises and I got two baby's last November. I do every thing I can for them to be happy and healthy but both of their shells are pyramiding and they have started to fight. I really do not want to have to get rid of one of them as it will break my heart but I need to concentrate on making them happier. It is not for deffinate yet but I was wondering if any one in the uk would be interested in one of them to make them as happy and healthy as can be. I live in surrey if any one lives close? I do not want to return to the pet shop as they gave me a lot of wrong information and I don't believe they will get healthier being there. Thanks for any offers of help

If you really cannot keep both tortoises maybe you could contact a sanctuary to rehome one of them?

I know you said you're in Surrey but there is a absolutely amazing tortoise sanctuary in Norfolk and they pretty much take in any tortoise that needs a home.
http://www.norfolktortoiserescue.co.uk

creygout

They are Herman's I don't know which type. Ok thankyou il keep Norfolk in mind :)ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1404405072.663068.jpg

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
It isn't too cold during the summers, and you can set up a cold frame or small greenhouse to trap what little solar heat you do receive. I live in San Antonio, TX, where the winters are mild and summers are incredibly hot, so I don't have as much experience with this as some of our more northerly members, but I know Chris is in New Jersey, and I believe Gary lives in New York, and both of these guys are some of the most prolific breeders of Testudo around, so I don't figure it gets too cold. I mean, I've seen forum members who keep sulcatas in Ontario, Canada.

But yeah, separation would be best. This won't be hard in a sizable outdoor setup under a green house, but would essentially require investment in a self contained separate enclosure for indoors. Also, I'd figure there would be any number of adoption options for your torts. You don't have any friends you can convert into the hobby? I try to convince any and all of my friends to adopt a tortoise. From the way I figure, the more tortoise lovers there are out there, the better the world is.

T.G.

creygout

Ok thankyou, I am going to talk to my parents about getting an outdoor enclosure (I'm only 18 so still at home!). I don't really want to convert my friends as a lot of then are immature and will probably get bored after a while, and I want to give them the best possible life. I am going to do some more research into another indoor enclosure and an outdoor one though. Thanks for all of your kind advice

tglazie

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, TX
Yeah, I feel you. When I was eighteen, none of my goofball friends could handle tortoise care either. My dad is the one who got me into the hobby. He had kept California Desert tortoises as a kid, but he ended up giving them up when he married my mom to move overseas. When I was around seven, he decided to start getting into box turtles. When I was twelve, he got me my first Turkish Greek tortoise, Graecus, who I've maintained to this very day. I'm 31 now, going on 32 this fall, and though I've aged, he hasn't changed a bit. Be ready for that. One day, you'll be a middle aged dude, and your torts will still be running around like they did when they were three years old.

T.G.

In my opinion, the shell does not look pyramided, in my pinion it just looks like normal growth lines of a young tortoise, how big is your enclosure? maybe they are fighting because they are bored?