Tortoise type ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi and welcome,
Are you in Hampshire UK or US?
I'm not too sure about the species, but someone will be along to help soon.
How long have you had him and have you any idea of his age?

Sandiepete

Hampshire
The previous owner had him for about 40 years.
Hi and welcome,
Are you in Hampshire UK or US?
I'm not too sure about the species, but someone will be along to help soon.
How long have you had him and have you any idea of his age?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like an older Greek tortoise, but I'm not well versed on this species to know which sub species he is.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
There are many species being kept in the UK but the most common the are Mediterranean species - Hermanns, Russians (Horsefields) or Greeks and of the 3, I think he looks most like a Greek.
If you look in the Species section there are great caresheets which will help you provide the best diet and conditions for him.
A lot of the older torts were just left to their own devices to survive in gardens, but we know more about torts and their needs now to make sure they thrive and have the best lives possible.
How are you keeping him at the moment - indoors/outdoor/ both?

You may find www.thetortoisetable.org.uk useful to find safe and nutritious food.

Sandiepete

Hampshire
Thank you very much for the information and links which I will find that very useful.
He spends each day at the moment in the garden wandering around and particularly enjoying the clover on the lawn. At night time I bring him indoors.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
He'll probably enjoy a soak too in shallow luke warm water. No deeper than where the shell meets the plastron when he is lying down, so that his head is above water at all times. It will help hydrate him.
If you post some pics of any enclosures you'll get great advice on how to set it up.

Sandiepete

Hampshire
Thank you , I have attempted a soak in shallow water and he didn’t enjoy it but will have another go.
My garden is walled in and tortoise safe so he wanders freely!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Thank you , I have attempted a soak in shallow water and he didn’t enjoy it but will have another go.
My garden is walled in and tortoise safe so he wanders freely!
He is quite beautiful and looks pretty healthy. Nice old fella (or lady?)
Does look a bit dry. Make the water warmish and insist that he stay in it by covering the tub (you can use a plastic storage bin and bore a few holes in the lid). Just make sure he fits closely inside it and cannot flip over while he soaks.