Can Anyone Help Me Identify This Tortoise?

Liamstone825

Location (City and/or State)
London
This tortoise is believed to be either a Greek or Hermann tortoise but unsure as cant find spurs on thighs or tail. The tortoise is about 9inches long and has lived for over 50years. If anyone is able to give any information on this little guy (not just its breed) that would be great!!
reddit tortoise 5.jpgtortoise.jpg
reddit tortoise 4.jpgreddit tortoise.jpgreddit tortoise 3.JPGreddit tortoise 2.JPG

Liamstone825

London
Sous Valley Greek tortoise: Testudo graeca soussensis lack spurs. This is my guess, I am not the expert though.
Thank you very much, I think this is an excellent suggestion. I have some doubts due to the area that Souss Valley tortoises are from, I have read up about them and it states they live in Morocco, I myself live in the UK, the tortoise has been in our family for over 50 years and was an adult when he was found. He just lives in the garden and then he is kept in a summer house during hibernation, I am still slightly confused as to why the tortoise can manage the climate here in the UK as there is such a contrast in climate from Souss Valley in South Morocco.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Yvonne called @TeamZissou so maybe we will soon get more information. How lovely that he has been with your people so long and looks so amazing - so well cared!

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
This looks like a Moroccan Greek to me, Testudo graeca marokkensis. It doesn't look like any of the soussensis pictures that I've seen. As for the lack of spurs, I'm not sure. Supposedly there was some crossover in some areas so that may have led to it or be caused for some other reason. Some genetic testing services are available in Europe if you are interested in 100% ID of the subspecies.

There are quite a few marokkensis owners from the UK that have popped up on the forum over the years. Supposedly they are not adapted to brumating as well as other Greek subspecies such as Ibera, but a number of them do survive in the UK weather. Chances of success are better if they are kept dry during brumating.

Whatever you're doing seems to be working, he's looking good!

Liamstone825

London
This looks like a Moroccan Greek to me, Testudo graeca marokkensis. It doesn't look like any of the soussensis pictures that I've seen. As for the lack of spurs, I'm not sure. Supposedly there was some crossover in some areas so that may have led to it or be caused for some other reason. Some genetic testing services are available in Europe if you are interested in 100% ID of the subspecies.

There are quite a few marokkensis owners from the UK that have popped up on the forum over the years. Supposedly they are not adapted to brumating as well as other Greek subspecies such as Ibera, but a number of them do survive in the UK weather. Chances of success are better if they are kept dry during brumating.

Whatever you're doing seems to be working, he's looking good!

Thank you very much for the time you have spent researching and typing your response. I think this could be what he is! And I'm glad to hear he looks so healthy!