Tortoise Wheel: An Unexpected Success!

_The_Beast_

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
When setting up my Russian hatchling habitat, I decided to experiment with adding a big wide wheel and... It has been an amazing success. Enclosure is currently a closed chamber vivarium, 4x2ft (going to build a larger multi level setup once hatchling is bigger), live plants, and all those happy things. I was worried the wheel would get ignored and was ready to remove it to free up more floor space but whoa. Every single day she (or he) spends about an hour on it. The only challenging part is keeping the track clean since it inevitably gets pee and poop on it, but I can get replacement strips so I'm not super worried about it. Eventually the wood at the base will rot from the humidity, but I'm happy to replace it as needed since it seems like great enrichment.

Has anyone else tried one? I'm definitely going to have to figure out how to source or make a bigger one when this one outgrows it 😅 I have videos of this tiny speed racer in action but am not sure how to upload videos.

Attachments

• PXL_20240208_191238337.jpg
    PXL_20240208_191238337.jpg
    639.4 KB · Views: 16

_The_Beast_

Canada
Can you explain how you did this (or show a better picture of it in the enclosure?)
This might be something to try on my end too.
Happy to :) It's an adjustable height wooden hamster wheel. I've got the wheel pretty low and the base is partially buried in the substrate. It has a cork liner inside the wheel for grip and the liner is replaceable (it comes with one replacement strip). The wheel backs up against one of the walls of the vivarium (not necessary for a hatchling as it's totally stable free-standing, I just wanted to give as much free-roam space as possible... might need to secure it if your tort has more shoving capability).

I got the wheel on Amazon, it's the large size Niteangel Wooden Hamster Exercise Wheel (I'm in Canada, don't know what equivalents are available elsewhere). Here's a link: https://www.amazon.ca/Niteangel-Wooden-Hamster-Exercise-Wheel/dp/B08JP8KP1B

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Incredible to see and thanks for sharing. I have tried so many things for enrichment and a simple log to climb and scramble over has the best success. I will try the wheel to see how speedy fairs. Watch this space hahaha

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Incredible to see and thanks for sharing. I have tried so many things for enrichment and a simple log to climb and scramble over has the best success. I will try the wheel to see how speedy fairs. Watch this space hahaha
I want to try this but I know Fezzik will look at me and say "you want me to walk??? For no reason whatsoever? are you joking?!!"

_The_Beast_

Canada
We gave our Russian a chinchilla wheel! He loves it and is on there everyday for hours sometimes. :)
I was thinking of going for a Chin Spin and building a stand for it when mine outgrows this one. Did you go flying saucer for a chinchilla wheel or Chin Spin or a different route (I'm a previous chinchilla fur-parent)?