Tortoise Wheel: An Unexpected Success!

myk

Location (City and/or State)
London ontario
When setting up my Russian hatchling habitat, I decided to experiment with adding a big wide wheel and... It has been an amazing success. Enclosure is currently a closed chamber vivarium, 4x2ft (going to build a larger multi level setup once hatchling is bigger), live plants, and all those happy things. I was worried the wheel would get ignored and was ready to remove it to free up more floor space but whoa. Every single day she (or he) spends about an hour on it. The only challenging part is keeping the track clean since it inevitably gets pee and poop on it, but I can get replacement strips so I'm not super worried about it. Eventually the wood at the base will rot from the humidity, but I'm happy to replace it as needed since it seems like great enrichment.

Has anyone else tried one? I'm definitely going to have to figure out how to source or make a bigger one when this one outgrows it 😅 I have videos of this tiny speed racer in action but am not sure how to upload videos.
You build n market these

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This is really a good thing in more than one way. Not just for exercise, but it may help the tortoise that has a habit of trying to climb the walls and tipping over. With the wheel working smoothly, the tortoise can't tip over.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
This is really a good thing in more than one way. Not just for exercise, but it may help the tortoise that has a habit of trying to climb the walls and tipping over. With the wheel working smoothly, the tortoise can't tip over.
Tammy. You forgot to add that it's innovative and should be patented!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
What id like to know is how big the wheel should be for a small Russian. I want to try it for Sapphire.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Incredible to see and thanks for sharing. I have tried so many things for enrichment and a simple log to climb and scramble over has the best success. I will try the wheel to see how speedy fairs. Watch this space hahaha
Large wheel ordered , I think I may have to do wheel walking training with speedy but time will tell.

_The_Beast_

Canada
What id like to know is how big the wheel should be for a small Russian. I want to try it for Sapphire.
How big is Sapphire's shell?

The one I ordered for my hatchling has a 3.7 inch wide track (the large size Niteangel Wooden Hamster Exercise Wheel https://www.amazon.ca/Niteangel-Wooden-Hamster-Exercise-Wheel/dp/B08JP8KP1B). Tort is currently only 2.2 inches wide. As WL grows, my goal is to have a track that is at least 1/2 inch wider than the shell wide so that it's easy to stay on. A chin spin-brand chinchilla wheel has a 6-1/4 inch wide track and there are also custom wheels you can get made on etsy that might be even bigger.

Would love if folks with big wheels can share more about the dimensions that work for their tort and where they got them :D

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK

The one I ordered for my hatchling has a 3.7 inch wide track (the large size Niteangel Wooden Hamster Exercise Wheel https://www.amazon.ca/Niteangel-Wooden-Hamster-Exercise-Wheel/dp/B08JP8KP1B). Tort is currently only 2.2 inches wide. As WL grows, my goal is to have a track that is at least 1/2 inch wider than the shell wide so that it's easy to stay on. A chin spin-brand chinchilla wheel has a 6-1/4 inch wide track and there are also custom wheels you can get made on etsy that might be even bigger.

Would love if folks with big wheels can share more about the dimensions that work for their tort and where they got them :D
I ordered this one ....Savic Rolly Giant + Stand Exercise Wheel Dia 27,5 Cm https://amzn.eu/d/6BTwWDD
Plastic with what looks like a nice stand . I plan to have a low rock at the low edge for easy on and off and bury the base in the substrate.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Sapphire is a little 5 x 5" tank. I think he would enjoy something like that but I'm thinking it would have to be something newly manufactured. Or maybe one for an adult rat would work. Good thing I love Etsy.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
An update on the wheel of persistence :tort:🎡. I would say a total success. I initially did a wheel induction with him and then placed it in the enclosure. He had been on it endlessly . The spinning is not perfect but he is persevering and I think this has added new enrichment and interest. He does not fit perfectly but it is a good large size.

Attachments

• MOV_1464.mp4
    27.6 MB

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
@_The_Beast_ ... Right on ..... This is how new things are learned in our hobby. Innovation and outside the box thinking .... To think of how many torts will get more walking and just plain be healthier. You have done a good deed, a Ice Cream treat is in due on your plate.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
@zolasmum .... I logged out and was going to get started and it hit me .....Flip this wheel over so it's flat, (don't need the "Track" just the flat back) like a Lazy Susan. Now we've got a Dance Floor for Jo Jo, sorta. You were saying, somewhere for Jo Jo to dance in her pen this is it. A lazy susan for her to go to and flail her legs till her hearts content, spinning the whole way. Today is a good day ... says Ice Cube. @_The_Beast_ if your wondering Jo Jo is a Desert tort with a love for Dancing, and very sorry for what I believe was a thread hijack.

myk

London ontario
An update on the wheel of persistence :tort:🎡. I would say a total success. I initially did a wheel induction with him and then placed it in the enclosure. He had been on it endlessly . The spinning is not perfect but he is persevering and I think this has added new enrichment and interest. He does not fit perfectly but it is a good large size.
Maybe line it with sand paper, looks like she's doing alot of slipping n not much walking

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Maybe line it with sand paper, looks like she's doing alot of slipping n not much walking
I've used the rubberized stair treads for something similar for my bunnies to run across. And since they're flexible and would stick to something like that may help the wheel be more useful for a tortoise. I worry about a slippery surface also for all my animals

_The_Beast_

Canada
It's amazing to see so many people considering (and getting!) wheels as an additional way to enrich their tort's captive world 🥰 When I need to move to a bigger one, if it doesn't already have a grippy surface I might use shower grips as a way to help with grip 🤔 Great idea Cathie G!

Today involved a lot of wheel time in our home, along with a lot of 💩 (3! Good lord. That's in addition to our morning bath time donation). I don't know if I mentioned this before, but (in addition to pee) wheel poops can be powerful and messy since they either circle around the wheel and get repeatedly stomped on or.... fall on the occupant once gravity takes it's due 😅

Regardless, continuing to clock at least an hour of wheel time daily over here 😊

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It's amazing to see so many people considering (and getting!) wheels as an additional way to enrich their tort's captive world 🥰 When I need to move to a bigger one, if it doesn't already have a grippy surface I might use shower grips as a way to help with grip 🤔 Great idea Cathie G!

Today involved a lot of wheel time in our home, along with a lot of 💩 (3! Good lord. That's in addition to our morning bath time donation). I don't know if I mentioned this before, but (in addition to pee) wheel poops can be powerful and messy since they either circle around the wheel and get repeatedly stomped on or.... fall on the occupant once gravity takes it's due 😅

Regardless, continuing to clock at least an hour of wheel time daily over here 😊

Oh what we do for our critters 😁