Tortoise with College and Life

Paula Hu

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California, Los Angeles
Hello, I'm Paula

I've been planning for a tortoise for like a month and there is a problem about my future life with my tortoise.

I am currently in high school and I thought about my future. I grew up being a very spoiled and stupid child so I barely had to worry about life and taking care of anything. Throughout my life, I never had any pets which makes them so desirable for me. I got into tortoises because they are one of the few pets my parents would allow and I incredibly like. In the past few months I've been planning for a tortoise, I got the enclosure planned, the lighting, food, almost everything planned, but I realized that its not the only thing I need to plan.

I know I wont be staying in my current home forever, I wont be staying with my parents forever, I have to be independent. If I have my tortoise now, what am I going to do with it when I go to college? Do college allow tortoise pets? Especially in college I wont be able to care for it as much as I can right now. How am I going to bring my tortoise to college? I know most airlines don't allow tortoises. Rf I ask a company to ship it for me I know that wont be good for the tortoise and it is somewhat risky and I really don't want to do that.

Another choice is to leave it with my parents because they have the ability to take care of it. I also don't like this option because it is my responsibility to take care of my tortoise and my parents are not tortoise interested so I don't want to pass the responsibility to them and disturb their life with something they don't want.

Even after college, I've seem people going to many places because of work or something and which also scares me because how am I going to keep my tortoise while going everywhere? Even right now, I go to school most of my days and I won't be able to care for it a lot.

If I get a tortoise, it is my responsibility to take care of it and provide it a good and happy (hopefully) life. I don't want anything harmful or risky to happen to it. I also shouldn't be passing on this responsibility to someone else. I am really worried about this.

Maybe right now isn't the best time for me to have a pet.

Life is scary

Can some people share their experience or any advice please? Anything would help!!😖😖😖

Thank you!

Paula Hu

It sounds as though you already know that now is not a good time for you to bring a tortoise into your life.

Jamie
Agree, I don't even know why I am stressing about this so much. So obvious that I shouldn't have it now but because I'm so selfish so I want one. I'm currently figuring out a way for me to have one and sort of weighing the pros and cons. I know I probably won't get one tho. I just have this weird random hope. Its so scary.....

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had lots of pets as a kid and through high school. When I went off to college, I had an apartment with roommates who had their own animals, and I brought my pets with me. I acquired a bunch more pets while in college that helped take up space where regular furniture should have been. Its a way of life. Most people don't want all the hassles, responsibilities, expenses, and work. The few that do want all that have an exceptionally high level of interest and drive.

You will have to pick your college and living situation to suit the needs of your animal. Can you do that? Do you want to do that? Any sane rational person will answer "no" to these two questions. Animal people aren't necessarily as sane as the people around us.

Here is something else to consider about any reptile: They don't care about you. Give your animal the best home possible while it is in your care, and if things aren't working out, sell it to someone else that will also give it excellent care. It won't hurt the tortoises feelings, and the tortoise will be with someone who genuinely loves it and wants to care for it well. You might cry when it leaves, but the tortoise won't.

There are two opposing schools of thought on matters like these:
1. Life can be crazy. Unexpected curve balls happen all the time. College can be a very turbulent time full of all sorts of changes, moves, and emotional upheavals. Better to not have an animal that you have to be responsible for during this unpredictable time. Wait until you are more settled. Don't make this time in your life any harder than it already will be. Choose carefully. Choose wisely.
2. Life can be crazy. If you sit around waiting to pursue your interests until everything is perfect, you will never accomplish anything and you will live a sad wasted life. You only get one shot at this thing called life. Make the most of it. Get busy living, or get busy dying. The choice is yours. Throw caution to the wind and be bold!

Which of the above two scenarios suits your personality best?

Paula Hu

I had lots of pets as a kid and through high school. When I went off to college, I had an apartment with roommates who had their own animals, and I brought my pets with me. I acquired a bunch more pets while in college that helped take up space where regular furniture should have been. Its a way of life. Most people don't want all the hassles, responsibilities, expenses, and work. The few that do want all that have an exceptionally high level of interest and drive.

You will have to pick your college and living situation to suit the needs of your animal. Can you do that? Do you want to do that? Any sane rational person will answer "no" to these two questions. Animal people aren't necessarily as sane as the people around us.

Here is something else to consider about any reptile: They don't care about you. Give your animal the best home possible while it is in your care, and if things aren't working out, sell it to someone else that will also give it excellent care. It won't hurt the tortoises feelings, and the tortoise will be with someone who genuinely loves it and wants to care for it well. You might cry when it leaves, but the tortoise won't.

There are two opposing schools of thought on matters like these:
1. Life can be crazy. Unexpected curve balls happen all the time. College can be a very turbulent time full of all sorts of changes, moves, and emotional upheavals. Better to not have an animal that you have to be responsible for during this unpredictable time. Wait until you are more settled. Don't make this time in your life any harder than it already will be. Choose carefully. Choose wisely.
2. Life can be crazy. If you sit around waiting to pursue your interests until everything is perfect, you will never accomplish anything and you will live a sad wasted life. You only get one shot at this thing called life. Make the most of it. Get busy living, or get busy dying. The choice is yours. Throw caution to the wind and be bold!

Which of the above two scenarios suits your personality best?
Thank you Tom. Thanks for sharing your experience and giving advices. I would definitely choose number 1 even tho I feel like my personality and life is going towards number 2. Having a tortoise is something that will make my life happier, it goes on with my life. I would not be choosing my life because of my tortoise, my live shouldn't go according to it. It would be better for me and the tortoise. Thank you so much Tom! Your advices is really really helpful and its helping me make the decision. Thank you!!!

Paula

Living in a 'closet' (read 'a too small enclosure with nothing to do') is no life for anyone, man nor beast. Don't do it. It's not fair to the tortoise.
Thank you Yvonne. I shouldn't be selfish and just thinking about what "I" want. I should be also considering the life of the tortoise if I really get one. You're right, it isn't fair to the tortoise. My mind is clearing up, my current status is definitely not ready for a tortoise. Thank you for the advice!!

Paula

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you Tom. Thanks for sharing your experience and giving advices. I would definitely choose number 1 even tho I feel like my personality and life is going towards number 2. Having a tortoise is something that will make my life happier, it goes on with my life. I would not be choosing my life because of my tortoise, my live shouldn't go according to it. It would be better for me and the tortoise. Thank you so much Tom! Your advices is really really helpful and its helping me make the decision. Thank you!!!
I don't want to talk you into it or out of it. I want you to consider what will work best for you.

I'm weird. Having animals to look after settles my busy mind. On occasion I will find myself driving somewhere without an animal in the car, and I don't like it. For me, life has always been about animals, and better with animals. My life will always be about animals and with animals. I will be caring for my herd the day I die of old age.

That sort of life, obsessive/compulsive, as it may be, is not for everyone. You have to decide what is right for you.

There is not a day that goes go by that I don't talk myself out of more and more and more animals. There are a dozen snake species that I want to work with right now. Half a dozen chameleons. Skinks (look up emerald tree skinks and Egernia, at your own peril...). I'm dying to get Chaco, hermanni, and Egyptian tortoises. I'll soon be hatching out red foot tortoises from eggs. In my case, I have the space and resources to do all of it. What I don't have is time. I am the only thing stopping me from going buck wild. It is a daily struggle. Many times I skip going to the reptile shows because they are pure torture for me. I want it all, but I know that I can't care for it all correctly because of time restrictions.

There is no reason you can't tote a small tortoise around college life with you, but it will require sacrifice, extreme dedication, and place untold restrictions on you. Only you can decide if it is worth it. For most people it is not worth it, and it shouldn't be worth it. For a rare few, nothing could be more worth it. Its okay to be the former and its okay to be the latter. You just need to figure out which one you are and make your choice accordingly.

Paula Hu

I don't want to talk you into it or out of it. I want you to consider what will work best for you.
I completely understand and I will think thoroughly on what I will sacrifice for it and if it is worth it or not.
I'm weird. Having animals to look after settles my busy mind. On occasion I will find myself driving somewhere without an animal in the car, and I don't like it. For me, life has always been about animals, and better with animals. My life will always be about animals and with animals. I will be caring for my herd the day I die of old age.

That sort of life, obsessive/compulsive, as it may be, is not for everyone. You have to decide what is right for you.

There is not a day that goes go by that I don't talk myself out of more and more and more animals. There are a dozen snake species that I want to work with right now. Half a dozen chameleons. Skinks (look up emerald tree skinks and Egernia, at your own peril...). I'm dying to get Chaco, hermanni, and Egyptian tortoises. I'll soon be hatching out red foot tortoises from eggs. In my case, I have the space and resources to do all of it. What I don't have is time. I am the only thing stopping me from going buck wild. It is a daily struggle. Many times I skip going to the reptile shows because they are pure torture for me. I want it all, but I know that I can't care for it all correctly because of time restrictions.

There is no reason you can't tote a small tortoise around college life with you, but it will require sacrifice, extreme dedication, and place untold restrictions on you. Only you can decide if it is worth it. For most people it is not worth it, and it shouldn't be worth it. For a rare few, nothing could be more worth it. Its okay to be the former and its okay to be the latter. You just need to figure out which one you are and make your choice accordingly.
Thank you Tom. I'm trying to take in advices from people who have tortoise and life experience. You are correct, having a tortoise definitely requires sacrifice is some kind of way. Animals is not something in my life that I "have to have", it's something that can make my life happier so I would have to think more and weigh what I'll gain from having a tortoise and what i have to sacrifices. I understand the message you are trying to give and it is really really really helpful in seeing really how much the tortoise going to take up in my life. I feel like my mind is clearing up. Thank you so much for your advice!

Paula

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
More likely you are not the kind of person Tom is or you would have had an animal already. A spoiled child as you said would have found a way to have an animal before now.
You say your selfish, which tells me you are going to want too have all the goid times you can when in college, which means the tort will lose out
You are young and dont really have the time, space or money yet to do as Tom does.
Wait until you have done your college and have settled down in your adult life to get a tortoise.
That would be the selfless grown up thing to do.

Paula Hu

More likely you are not the kind of person Tom is or you would have had an animal already. A spoiled child as you said would have found a way to have an animal before now.
You say your selfish, which tells me you are going to want too have all the goid times you can when in college, which means the tort will lose out
You are young and dont really have the time, space or money yet to do as Tom does.
Wait until you have done your college and have settled down in your adult life to get a tortoise.
That would be the selfless grown up thing to do.
okkk!!! I 100% agree. I believe that gives the best outcome for me and the tortoise! I shouldn't be selfish when dealing with a living being. I need to consider if it will be good for the tortoise. Which in this case it's definitely not. Having a tortoise when I am settles and grown up is like the best way to solve this issue and I would definitely consider it!! Thank you for your adviceeee!!!!

Paula

Henry’s mom

Tampa FL
okkk!!! I 100% agree. I believe that gives the best outcome for me and the tortoise! I shouldn't be selfish when dealing with a living being. I need to consider if it will be good for the tortoise. Which in this case it's definitely not. Having a tortoise when I am settles and grown up is like the best way to solve this issue and I would definitely consider it!! Thank you for your adviceeee!!!!
Paula I just want to tell you that I think it’s actually very mature and unselfish of you to ask for insight, and also that you realize and admit your shortcomings. We all have them but many aren’t so honest with themselves or others about them.

You are growing up and maturing and soon starting an adult life of your own. I wish you the best of luck with college and with your future tortoise buddy down the road. Keep your mind open and your heart full of kindness and love! 🐢 💝

Paula Hu

Paula I just want to tell you that I think it’s actually very mature and unselfish of you to ask for insight, and also that you realize and admit your shortcomings. We all have them but many aren’t so honest with themselves or others about them.
Thank you for all your kind words 😊😊 I try to be honest with myself to better judge my issues and take in advices from others.
You are growing up and maturing and soon starting an adult life of your own. I wish you the best of luck with college and with your future tortoise buddy down the road. Keep your mind open and your heart full of kindness and love! 🐢 💝
Thank youuuuuuu🥰🥰 you're so nice. It's really warming and cheering me up. I'm really glad that there are so many nice and helpful people in this forum.Your kindhearted words will help so many people and I wish you always have the best times and stay super happyyyyyy!!!!

Rynan

Southern California
What about a rat? I had a rat in college that worked out well. Didn't take too much space and easy to train with a clicker and some treats. Maybe wait until your 2nd or 3rd year when you are no longer required to live on campus, if you guys don't have that rule then you can get a pet when you rent an apt near campus. Are you planning on dating or going to parties? It's all about time management and sometimes being lucky. Sometimes, having great roommates can help. I've been looking for a husky for years, in my 4th year, someone nearby was rehoming a 6-month-old pup. I was actually able to get him because my roommates encouraged me. They were in their 40's, a nice gay couple. They drove me to get the dog and offered to feed and walk him when I was in school. This was when I was holding down 16 units, independent research, 4 labs, writing a thesis, prepping for grad school, and working almost full time at a library. I'd still find time to walk him and take him to dog parks daily. But definitely no other social life. So something to consider. Oh and no sleep, you can kiss that goodbye.

Last edited:

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I gave up turtles in high school and college and sort of regret it now. That was during a time period when you could get a bunch of species that are much more expensive and / or impossible to find now.

The only real barrier is that college housing will ban pets - so you’ll have to live off campus. If that is not an issue, go for it.

Rynan

Southern California
I gave up turtles in high school and college and sort of regret it now. That was during a time period when you could get a bunch of species that are much more expensive and / or impossible to find now.

The only real barrier is that college housing will ban pets - so you’ll have to live off campus. If that is not an issue, go for it.
Boo to campus housing!!! And RES is not a bad choice if you are okay with changing water. I made mine a leash, you can take it out on walks, or the other way around. And also, the campus meal plan blows.

Paula Hu

college ban pets?!! Agree! living off campus definitely gives MUCH MORE freedom. I've actually been considering that, your post super helpeddd!! Thanks for the adviceeee!!!!
Paula

seafoam

Ontario
Hey, thought I’d reply to this post since it is super relevant to me!
I’ve wanted a tortoise forever, and last summer I finally got one. I’m in my third year of university, and I’ve been living with my parents since getting my tortoise. I commute to school, but will be getting a place next year and bringing my tortoise along. It is a lot harder to find rental houses that allow pets than ones that do not. I was lucky to find a place with my friends- we have a dog with us as well so a place that does not allow pets was not an option. You're going to have your setup going 24/7, so you need to consider electricity bills as well. If you’re sharing a house with friends you will most likely be asking for the biggest room in the house, which will also cost more. At the very least, I do NOT recommend getting a tortoise before first year. College/ university is such a huge adjustment, and forget about bringing your tortoise into your dorm cause it is 99% likely that will not be allowed. I’d be shocked if your college allowed you to have a tortoise in the students dorms.
Take that time to get settled in, focus on making friends, and having fun without worrying about rushing home to your tortoise.
Of course this is just my two cents, good luck with everything :)

Paula Hu

Hey, thought I’d reply to this post since it is super relevant to me!
I’ve wanted a tortoise forever, and last summer I finally got one. I’m in my third year of university, and I’ve been living with my parents since getting my tortoise. I commute to school, but will be getting a place next year and bringing my tortoise along. It is a lot harder to find rental houses that allow pets than ones that do not. I was lucky to find a place with my friends- we have a dog with us as well so a place that does not allow pets was not an option. You're going to have your setup going 24/7, so you need to consider electricity bills as well. If you’re sharing a house with friends you will most likely be asking for the biggest room in the house, which will also cost more. At the very least, I do NOT recommend getting a tortoise before first year. College/ university is such a huge adjustment, and forget about bringing your tortoise into your dorm cause it is 99% likely that will not be allowed. I’d be shocked if your college allowed you to have a tortoise in the students dorms.
Take that time to get settled in, focus on making friends, and having fun without worrying about rushing home to your tortoise.
Of course this is just my two cents, good luck with everything :)
Thank you for sharing your experience!!! It was super helpfullll!! Yes you have to consider A LOT if you are having a pet, especially in that time. It's a super idea getting a tortoise after you have everything settled, it's the best for you and your tortoise. Thanks for sharingg!!!