Tortoise with Sore Eye

SunnyTort

Location (City and/or State)
Scarborough
Hi. I've been asked about a tortoise with a sore eye but have never seen the problem so am unsure what to advise. I wondered if anyone can help?
The tortoise is a Horsefield and approximately 10 years old. He's lived in this set up for nearly 3 years with no problem but this week his eye has turned white, it looks like the eye lid as he can still open his eye okay. He's eating and moving about less than normal.

The UV bulb was originally lower and quite close to him as that's how the fitting came on the table. Heater is used as the house gets cold at night in cold months.

DSC_0372.JPGDSC_0371.JPG

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Is his jaw okay? It looks like the bottom jaw sticks out.

SunnyTort

Scarborough
He has his mouth open in the photo. The bottom grows over the top and has to be trimmed every so often. It's always been that way and a vet said it's a deformation but not a worry as he eats fine.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Is that a curly bulb?
If so tell then to remove it ASAP.
Curly and cfl type bulbs have been known to damage tort eyes and should never be used.
T5 HO tubes are recommended for uvb.
I think I would visit the vet to get some treatment unless one of the more experienced members here know of something they can do and use.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi. I've been asked about a tortoise with a sore eye but have never seen the problem so am unsure what to advise. I wondered if anyone can help?
The tortoise is a Horsefield and approximately 10 years old. He's lived in this set up for nearly 3 years with no problem but this week his eye has turned white, it looks like the eye lid as he can still open his eye okay. He's eating and moving about less than normal.

The UV bulb was originally lower and quite close to him as that's how the fitting came on the table. Heater is used as the house gets cold at night in cold months.

View attachment 320366View attachment 320367
If its just one eye then it is most likely a mechanical injury of some sort. The cfl bulb can also irritate it though. Your tortoise also needs a basking lamp.

There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt incandescent floods from the hardware store. Some people will need bigger, or smaller wattage bulbs. Let your thermometer be your guide. I run them on a timer for about 12 hours and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them. I also like to use a flat rock of some sort directly under the bulb. You need to check the temp with a thermometer directly under the bulb and get it to around 95-100F (36-37C).
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species. You'd only need day heat for a temperate species like Testudo or DT, as long as your house stays above 60F (15-16C) at night.
  3. Light. I use LEDs for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most bulbs at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish. Strip or screw-in bulb types are both fine.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. 5.0 bulbs make almost no UV. You need a meter to check this: https://www.solarmeter.com/model65.html Here in our climate, you shouldn't need indoor UV.
Is there sand in that substrate? If yes, that would be the likely culprit. Sand should never be used as a tortoise substrate. Mot even in a mix with other stuff.

SunnyTort

Scarborough
Thank you. The bulb is a spiral type that came with the table. The substrate is one made for tortoises, I can find out the name and check the ingredients. The tortoise is in the UK so it's quite cold in the winter for him to be outside so has always had UV indoors. Is this correct?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I always keep a bottle of Flukers reptile eye drops around just in case a dirt particle gets in my little guys eyes. There's better brands probably but that one's an eyewash I can replace cheaply when it gets out of date. ?

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thank you. The bulb is a spiral type that came with the table. The substrate is one made for tortoises, I can find out the name and check the ingredients. The tortoise is in the UK so it's quite cold in the winter for him to be outside so has always had UV indoors. Is this correct?
The bulb needs to be removed and changed for a much safer uvb source - T5 HO tubes are the most highly recommended.
I'm in the UK too and yes UVB needs to be provided when outdoor time isn't possible.
If there is sand n the substrate that needs to be changed too. Sand can irritate eyes and skin and if it gets on tort food it can cause the gut to become impacted which is very painful and can be fatal so check the caresheet below to see what is recommended. I think a vet visit is probably needed.

SunnyTort

Scarborough
I always keep a bottle of Flukers reptile eye drops around just in case a dirt particle gets in my little guys eyes. There's better brands probably but that one's an eyewash I can replace cheaply when it gets out of date. ?

Thank you. Are these available in the UK or do you know of an equivalent brand. The pet shop have some eye drops that say they are suitable for soothing eyes in all animals.

The light has been replaced for the combined UV/heat type. Is there a way to see the tubes on a tortoise table so they hang above?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Thank you. Are these available in the UK or do you know of an equivalent brand. The pet shop have some eye drops that say they are suitable for soothing eyes in all animals.

The light has been replaced for the combined UV/heat type. Is there a way to see the tubes on a tortoise table so they hang above?
I don't know what you have in the UK as far as reptile eye drops go. I order mine online. I like the one I use and only keep it just in case. If I see irritated eyelids I will use it but seldom have had to. As far as the lights I'm not a person to ask about that. There's way more experienced people on this forum and you should always take their advice. But I wish you the best and you have an adorable tortoise.?