Tortoise wont eat!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercurysmom

5 Year Member
I got my baby sulcata on Sunday. I haven't seen him eat yet. There's a possibility that he's eaten when I'm not watching, but I don't know. I've tried everything. I worked up a sweat; blending his greens, putting him in a bowl full of puréed pumpkin, went out in the dark garden picking lettuce and grass and grape leaves... He just walked away from everything I put in front of him. I'd think i was just a really crappy cook but my other two tortoises are going to town with everything I made/grew/bought. What do I do? :(
He feels heavy, heavier than his slightly larger brother. and he's active (he runs really
fast into his hide box!) but I just wish I could see him eat so I know he'll stay healthy and quit worrying.

Attachments

• image-1557155995.png
    image-1557155995.png
    1,018.6 KB · Views: 15
  • image-2440330401.png
    image-2440330401.png
    943 KB · Views: 16

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
I'm having the same problem with my yellow foot. I got it last week. Hope we get good feedback from some veterans

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I would leave him be for a couple of weeks or longer It will take him time to relax in his new enviroment. I would only do your daily soaks & offer food. Make sure he's nice and warm too. He is a cutie!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Kathy is absolutely correct....it can take awhile (sometimes a week or as much as a month) for a new tort to settle in....I would not make any changes to his enclosure (as long as all is set up correct :D) and get him on a routine---he will fall right into the routine and be a chow hound before you realize it....

mercurysmom

5 Year Member
Ok, thanks! I feel reassured. His brother is about a month older and came from the same breeder; he was eating the minute I brought him home and has been a pig ever since, maybe I just have two opposites. :)

I'm pretty confident in my set up, just grossed out with the substrate right now (reptibark) because I saw a little worm in it today... Gross! Plus i think i got it too wet, its kinda starting to stink. They track the bark into their food all the time too. I'm going to look for orchid bark tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.