Tortoise Yard

Melis

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Hmmmm... I wanted a goat to keep the grass down on the 2 to 4 acres of land we are buying.... maybe I need a herd of tortoises... all separated ... everyone gets 1/10 of an acre to mow
We just bought a house on 3.5 acres. I keep telling my fiancé we need a goat to help with that. When really I just keep watching all those baby goats in pajamas videos on Facebook and that's why I need one! Lol

Kristy1970

5 Year Member
Addis, LA
We have a beautiful home and yard but in a subdivision... had to because of school district.. baby is in her 3rd year of college so we are buying land and buying my daughters mobile home within a year after she builds her house, building a giant metal building and moving all our stuff in it .. going to live in mobile home, sell our house then build a smaller house and another pool... we will do most of the work building the house ourselves and pay cash as we go! Will walk away with no debt! Putting 30% in 401k so we can retire and I can become the crazy tortoise lady lol

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How old were you when you got your first tort? Which was it? Do you still have it?
Back in the '60s we had a few desert tortoises that we found wandering around the streets of Fresno, but when we moved to the country I set them up in a chicken wire pen and lost all of them. We did no research, and just figured a tortoise was a tortoise. We tossed our left over dinner out into the yard for them - spaghetti, mashed potatoes, etc. It wasn't until my son came home from serving his country in the late '70s that I really got into it. He gave me his box turtles and a desert tortoise because his rottweiler pup wouldn't leave them alone. I had no more kids at this time and was a bit more responsible about animals, so did my research.

I still have that desert tortoise - Mi- shell.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Back in the '60s we had a few desert tortoises that we found wandering around the streets of Fresno, but when we moved to the country I set them up in a chicken wire pen and lost all of them. We did no research, and just figured a tortoise was a tortoise. We tossed our left over dinner out into the yard for them - spaghetti, mashed potatoes, etc. It wasn't until my son came home from serving his country in the late '70s that I really got into it. He gave me his box turtles and a desert tortoise because his rottweiler pup wouldn't leave them alone. I had no more kids at this time and was a bit more responsible about animals, so did my research.

I still have that desert tortoise - Mi- shell.

That is a great story of redemption. How many torts are you left with now?

MrMarg&me

Temecula California
Yvonne it is helpful how open you are about the mistakes you have made in the care of turtles and tortoises. You are very matter of fact. You know you acted on the info you had at the time and when you learned more you corrected and improved. Sometimes I will feel sad about how ignorant I have been with past animal care. But the hard truth is the past cannot be revisited. The past only serves us if we learn from it.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Including turtles, I have 15 different species. I haven't done an inventory for a while, but last inventory it was slightly over 100.

Omg!!! That is incredible. My wife and just have 7. 2 baby res, 4 redfoots, and a russian tort. Do you have any painteds and map turtles?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are 6 female RES, several rescued western pond turtles that were unable to be returned to the wild, a giant female yellow belly, two male and one LARGE female Florida soft shells and a large female phrynops hillari.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
You keep them in stock tanks or outdoor ponds?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You keep them in stock tanks or outdoor ponds?
The pond is a big hole in the ground, not lined. you can searh for it. I 'm on my Kindle and don't know how to copy/paste from here.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Its ok. They all live in there? Any filtration?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
We have a beautiful home and yard but in a subdivision... had to because of school district.. baby is in her 3rd year of college so we are buying land and buying my daughters mobile home within a year after she builds her house, building a giant metal building and moving all our stuff in it .. going to live in mobile home, sell our house then build a smaller house and another pool... we will do most of the work building the house ourselves and pay cash as we go! Will walk away with no debt! Putting 30% in 401k so we can retire and I can become the crazy tortoise lady lol

Wow.... you need to start a thread just on your Plan of Attack!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok, I'm on the computer now, so here's the link to my pond:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/pond.18930/

I've added the pictures just this a.m., because the original thread had pictures from Photobucket and none of them were showing anymore, so the pictures are out of order, but you get the idea. When I go outside I'll take a picture of what it looks like now. I got rid of the filter.

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Thanks for the update. Looks great. That is my goal for my turtles when me down to Fl. Might use a stock tank or just go your route. We shall see. I love yours

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks for the update. Looks great. That is my goal for my turtles when me down to Fl. Might use a stock tank or just go your route. We shall see. I love yours
I just went out and took a current picture of it. Turtles were jumping into the water left and right! They don't seem to care that it's green and murky. I need to turn on the hose, as I normally keep it full to the top of the cinder blocks:

pond 3-24-18 a.jpg

I also have a 600 gallon stock tank with a snapper in it:

snapper pond 8-2-15 d.jpg
snapper pond a.jpg

Attachments

• snapper pond 8-2-15 a.jpg
    snapper pond 8-2-15 a.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 19
  • snapper pond 8-2-15 b.jpg
    snapper pond 8-2-15 b.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 19

Alex Z

5 Year Member
NYC
Your yard is huge!! How old is the snapper? Turtles love to scurry away at the site of anything.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Your yard is huge!! How old is the snapper? Turtles love to scurry away at the site of anything.
She came to me as a rescue and as they're illegal in California I 'm not able to adopt it out. I've had her about 5 years now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because people release them into our waterways and they interfere with our native species.