TortoiseID

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jamaica
It is virtually impossible to legally bring in any CITES I animal to the US, even for AZA Zoos. It takes a mountain of red tape, and permits must be issued by both the exporting country and the US government.

I owned and bred Radiated Tortoises for over 50 years (even before CBW Permits to buy and sell them in the US were required), and there have been no Radiated Tortoises legally imported here since the mid-to late 1980's. And those were confiscated animals which were sent the the New York Zoological Society and were doled out to various other zoos in the US.

Just FYI, I was a Field Associate in Herpetology of the New York Zoological Society (now called the Wildlife Conservation Society or WCS) for 30+ years and was privy to a lot of information regarding importation of endangered animals, plus the confiscations of illegal attempts to bring them into the country.

You would have to smuggle the animals into this country if you went to Indonesia and bought any CITES I or II tortoises to bring here. You would face a federal trial and a huge fine if caught. I would advise you against the attempt.

Also, I believe that keeping tortoises is not even legal in Indonesia, though they have historically had trouble enforcing the laws. Hence that company is most likely in violation of the laws and probably operating sub-rosa. Look up the case on Anson Wong, a big time reptile dealer/smuggler. He was based in Indonesia as I recall.
Very good and useful information!