TortoiseID

zovick

10 Year Member!
It is the title to my question/above my question.
That response seems rather obtuse to people who are trying to help you. The only thing I see above the question is "TortoiseID". Is that who you mean?

If so, I have never heard of that entity as anything other than the titles of queries on this forum by people trying to figure out what kind of tortoise they have.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I asked my friend, Google, and she has never heard of a vendor called "TortoiseID" and neither have I.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I asked my friend, Google, and she has never heard of a vendor called "TortoiseID" and neither have I.
try bing , it's there ........ i wouldn't trust that site at all .......... might be legit , but to me , it screams scam .....

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks, Mark. Found it with your help! They are tortoiseid.com and are based in Indonesia.

I don't know how easy it is to buy tortoises from overseas. And I worry about the legality of buying cites listed tortoises???

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Not being obtuse. It is the name they call themselves by
try bing , it's there ........ i wouldn't trust that site at all .......... might be legit , but to me , it screams scam .....
OK. Why scam? How does one vet foreign entities?

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
because i didn't see this

CONTACT INFORMATION​

Address: Jl. marga satwa no.27, Semarang, Indonesia, Central Java. Phone: +62 878-1585-2477. Email: [email protected]

everything on the internet screams scam to me , screams it a little less with good contact info, which that may or may not be ...... google the address , see if there is a street view of the business .

they keep and sell a lot of cites l animals , i would think they require government permits themselves to do what they're doing ? that may be checkable

you may be able to check if they've been reported for fraud to the FTC ?

see if they take credit cards as opposed to wire transfers only .....

11. Prices of every species can be changed any time without notice and will be advised in our next offeror new stock list.

12. Payments are not accepted by Banker draft of personal checks, and only accepted by Telegraphic Transfer ( TT ).

EricW

Houston, TX
They pretty much copied Tyler Stewart's TortoiseSupply.com website by copying it. They look nearly identical. No info. in the US on them; reviews, chat, etc., positive or negative, that I can find. Unable to find address, Google Map brings you to No. 24 but not No. 27.

Able to Bing but not Google the sight is an alarm. I was unable to find anything on the company searching UK and European fraud websites.

All around, if they were doing what they said, you would think there would be more of a trail than a website that is only found through Bing or directly putting in the web addy.

I searched for the phone number and not only did TortoiseID come up, but also a Facebook page for Tortoise Kingdom that looks fraudulent and claims to be in Malaysia.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Another big red flag fraud alert “ only accepted by Telegraphic Transfer ( TT ).”

You would never get your money refunded if there was a dispute.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I would avoid at all costs and look to in country USA suppliers/ breeders some of which are forum members. We have had people on here pay money and get nothing inc a brick in a box!

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
I would avoid at all costs and look to in country USA suppliers/ breeders some of which are forum members. We have had people on here pay money and get nothing inc a brick in a box!
IF they exist I would go there to buy! For many reasons. And likely pay in person by whatever means, As for buying in the USA the prices for instance for even less colored/patterened Radiateds are ridiculous or the sellers will only sell in their state. Neither are friendly business practices AFAIC. I know all the sales pitches and see only disingenuous justification of greed but IF there were ANYONE in my state selling what I want maybe I would use them but there's not. None will even own up to having a CBW to help out. IF the business is genuine I would go there and get more tortoises for the same price as one or two here .
I know; fightin words but so be it. That's what truth is today.

Last edited:

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
They pretty much copied Tyler Stewart's TortoiseSupply.com website by copying it. They look nearly identical. No info. in the US on them; reviews, chat, etc., positive or negative, that I can find. Unable to find address, Google Map brings you to No. 24 but not No. 27.

Able to Bing but not Google the sight is an alarm. I was unable to find anything on the company searching UK and European fraud websites.

All around, if they were doing what they said, you would think there would be more of a trail than a website that is only found through Bing or directly putting in the web addy.

I searched for the phone number and not only did TortoiseID come up, but also a Facebook page for Tortoise Kingdom that looks fraudulent and claims to be in Malaysia.
Thank you for the follow up you did. I consider google information stealing crooks so them not having info isn't necessarily a bad deal to me.

EricW

Houston, TX
IF they exist I would go there to buy! For many reasons. And likely pay in person by whatever means, As for buying in the USA the prices for instance for even less colored/patterened Radiateds are ridiculous or the sellers will only sell in their state. Neither are friendly business practices AFAIC. I know all the sales pitches and see only disingenuous justification of greed but IF there were ANYONE in my state selling what I want maybe I would use them but there's not. None will even own up to having a CBW to help out. IF the business is genuine I would go there and get more tortoises for the same price as one or two here .
You do realize it is a serious crime to sell and ship radiated tortoises across state lines right? You need a permit and good luck getting one. If you had the permit, then no big deal. It would be an even bigger crime if you went to Indonesia and brought them back without the proper permits.

zovick

10 Year Member!
It is virtually impossible to legally bring in any CITES I animal to the US, even for AZA Zoos. It takes a mountain of red tape, and permits must be issued by both the exporting country and the US government.

I owned and bred Radiated Tortoises for over 50 years (even before CBW Permits to buy and sell them in the US were required), and there have been no Radiated Tortoises legally imported here since the mid-to late 1980's. And those were confiscated animals which were sent the the New York Zoological Society and were doled out to various other zoos in the US.

Just FYI, I was a Field Associate in Herpetology of the New York Zoological Society (now called the Wildlife Conservation Society or WCS) for 30+ years and was privy to a lot of information regarding importation of endangered animals, plus the confiscations of illegal attempts to bring them into the country.

You would have to smuggle the animals into this country if you went to Indonesia and bought any CITES I or II tortoises to bring here. You would face a federal trial and a huge fine if caught. I would advise you against the attempt.

Also, I believe that keeping tortoises is not even legal in Indonesia, though they have historically had trouble enforcing the laws. Hence that company is most likely in violation of the laws and probably operating sub-rosa. Look up the case on Anson Wong, a big time reptile dealer/smuggler. He was based in Indonesia as I recall.