tortoises in a conservatory

Status
Not open for further replies.

r4chael

5 Year Member
i am keeping my leopard tortoises in a small conservatory and need to know if it is ok to keep the room warm with a convector heater as it can get very cold in there on a night??

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
A space heater is fine if it keeps their enclosure warm enough.
Probably not if they have free run of the conservatory, as the floor can get very cold.
the goal is to achieve the necessary night/day/basking temps that species needs.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes. Just be sure they can not touch it if it gets hot on the outer areas of it and they will still need a basking spot of 95-100 and UVB lighting.

Also, take a look at Toms threads on raising leopards that are at the bottom of my post. If your leopards are little, they need a high humidity. That will be hard to do in a whole room.

r4chael

5 Year Member
Thank you very much. could you tell me if i need a red light during the night?

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I would think that on any cold night, it's important to keep animals warm. Using a convector for heat, or any other heating, safety comes first. If the heater is keep in a place where the torts cannot get to it or any of the electrical wiring/cords, it would be fine. I have not read anything about convectors that would prevent me from using it to heat a room. I would make sure that with the heat, there be some way to increase humidity in the room too. Heat can suck humidity from the air and can cause very dry conditions for your torts.

Status
Not open for further replies.