Tortoises in Space!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
While cruising around on the Internet I discovered that tortoises have been launched into space several times!!!

On September 14, 1968, Russia launched Zond 5 which included a biological payload of wine flies, mealworms, bacteria, plants and TWO STEPPE TORTOISES!!! Back then it was feared that the radiation out in space would be fatal to earth-origin life forms, so animals got sent up before humans did. Zond 5 spent a week in space: it made a single big loop around the moon, then returned and splashed down in the Indian Ocean. The capsule was retrieved and all the animals were still alive. The tortoises had lost about 10% of their body weight, but were active and ate well after their return. Russia later sent tortoises up again, and as recently as February 2010 Iran sent a biological payload into Earth orbit which in included tortoises.

I wasn't able to find out the names of any of the cosmonaut tortoises or which species Iran used.

So the next time a non-believer says tortoise aren't cool, :cool:I can ask that person "Have YOU orbited the moon like they have?" :D

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Man, tortoises were a terrible choice to send up there for that purpose. You would want to send something with rapid rates of mitosis and less awesome DNA repair enzymes than what tortoises have. Tortoises can handle a ton more radiation than many organisms from what I have heard.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
That was the most 'fun' post I've read in quite awhile here on TFO. Thanks for posting it.

You know they say people who don't like cats were surely rats in a former life. Maybe people who don't like tortoises were asses in a former life!

Will

ellen

5 Year Member
Sonoran Desert
I wonder if zero-g effects their bodies as it does humans? Bone atrophy, swelling faces, muscle atrophy, eyesight problems, etc.... I have a feeling they can handle it a bit better since they're such sturdy, amazing creatures, but a lot can happen to your body if you spend prolonged periods in space.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
ellen said:
I wonder if zero-g effects their bodies as it does humans? Bone atrophy, swelling faces, muscle atrophy, eyesight problems, etc.... I have a feeling they can handle it a bit better since they're such sturdy, amazing creatures, but a lot can happen to your body if you spend prolonged periods in space.

It does/will/would.

TortLaw

5 Year Member
Colorado
I think I had heard before that the were sent into space by Russia back in the day, but I had no idea people were still using torts to go into space today. Awesome!

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Baoh said:
Man, tortoises were a terrible choice to send up there for that purpose. You would want to send something with rapid rates of mitosis and less awesome DNA repair enzymes than what tortoises have. Tortoises can handle a ton more radiation than many organisms from what I have heard.

Very interesting!!! I had no idea!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
amnt_fullpic_artwork.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.