Tortoise's uneven growth and ruined shell on one side

lenak37

Location (City and/or State)
Slovakia
Hi guys, I'm a new member even though I had my tortoise for a year if not more, there's something with her shell on one side both on top and bottom of her shell even her nail on that side all broke and fell off, the picture with her nails on there side curved is the non ruined side,

when we got her she was completely fine.
I don't even remember when her shell started growing uneven and ruined honestly.

I tried googling what's wrong, why only one side is like this but nothing, she seems healthy to me, she's eating and all.

We also took her to the villages vet and he told us little more than nothing but didn't help at all. Maybe he is just inexperienced with tortoise's or idk.

Could someone tell me what's wrong and how to fix this?

Attachments

• IMG_20231230_163155.jpg
    IMG_20231230_163155.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20231230_162751.jpg
    IMG_20231230_162751.jpg
    719.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20231230_163218.jpg
    IMG_20231230_163218.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 6

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
You said you got her a year or more ago, and that when you got her, she was "completely fine". This means that whatever injury she suffered, as seen in the pictures,happened during her time in your care, doesn't it?

lenak37

Slovakia
You said you got her a year or more ago, and that when you got her, she was "completely fine". This means that whatever injury she suffered, as seen in the pictures,happened during her time in your care, doesn't it?
Yeah but I don't know what I did wrong

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Do you have a heater underneath the tortoise?
What are you using for heat?
These look like severe burns to me
I agree it could be burns. Please answer these questions to try and help your tortoise.

lenak37

Slovakia
Do you have a heater underneath the tortoise?
What are you using for heat?
These look like severe burns to me
I use uv light I bought it in the pet store it should be made for tortoise's and other reptiles, it did fall on it's back like 3-4 times I the past but I didn't think it was serious since it went back to normal after few minutes when I turned it back on feet, it was also long ago

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I use uv light I bought it in the pet store it should be made for tortoise's and other reptiles, it did fall on it's back like 3-4 times I the past but I didn't think it was serious since it went back to normal after few minutes when I turned it back on feet, it was also long ago
Is it a UV and HEAT light?
If so, how far away is it and what is the temperature under it?
(We're just guessing here)

lenak37

Slovakia
Is it a UV and HEAT light?
If so, how far away is it and what is the temperature under it?
(We're just guessing here)
I'm not sure we bought it long ago and threw away the box but I guess it both its about 30cm far away and I have no idea what's the temperature but when I put my hand under it it's warm but not too warm, maybe if shes under the light for long it different for her 🤔

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When a ight or heat source burns a tortoise's shell it only affects the shell growth where the light was burning. Since both the plastron and the carapace are involved I'm leaning more towards incorrect nutrition. We see shell growth like this frequently in box turtles on incorrect diets and lighting. Do you feed this tortoise cat or dog food? What and how often do you feed this tortoise.

lenak37

Slovakia
When a ight or heat source burns a tortoise's shell it only affects the shell growth where the light was burning. Since both the plastron and the carapace are involved I'm leaning more towards incorrect nutrition. We see shell growth like this frequently in box turtles on incorrect diets and lighting. Do you feed this tortoise cat or dog food? What and how often do you feed this tortoise.
No I never even thought about feeding her cat or dog food. I feed her every day

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I agree with Yvonne, my first thought was poor nutrition/mbd.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No I never even thought about feeding her cat or dog food. I feed her every day
It should not eat dog or cat food so that's good you don't feed it. Yvonne wasn't suggesting to feed it. But if that's what you did feed, it could be the problem.
Seeing you don't feed it, what do you feed? List all diet items.
There is no dog that could have gotten to him?
You need to buy a thermostat and a point and shoot infrared temp gun. You should know the temps not just guessing with it feels warm.
You should be using a tube florescent for uvb.
Incandescent flood bulb for basking of 95-100 temps and ceramic heat emitter(s) or heat panels for added day and night heat.
UV bulbs need to be changed every 6 to 12 months unless you have a UV meter to read the levels that are being given out.

lenak37

Slovakia
It should not eat dog or cat food so that's good you don't feed it. Yvonne wasn't suggesting to feed it. But if that's what you did feed, it could be the problem.
Seeing you don't feed it, what do you feed? List all diet items.
There is no dog that could have gotten to him?
You need to buy a thermostat and a point and shoot infrared temp gun. You should know the temps not just guessing with it feels warm.
You should be using a tube florescent for uvb.
Incandescent flood bulb for basking of 95-100 temps and ceramic heat emitter(s) or heat panels for added day and night heat.
UV bulbs need to be changed every 6 to 12 months unless you have a UV meter to read the levels that are being given out.
I didn't feed it pet food, I don't own neither cat or dog so she hasn't been bitten

I feed her various foods -that I make sure are safe- but she rather stays with the classics like lettuce, Dandelion leafs, cucumber, any type of berry

I'll look into these other things w light and warmth