Tortoises wont soak

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cali
Everyday in the morning I soak the baby sulcatas but they just get out immediatly, i use warm water but its not like they dont like it, they just dont want to be in water that much, sometimes one will stay in there for a while, but its almost always that same one, the bigger one, is this normal behavior, they do pee in the water and do defecate as well, other than that they act normal throughout the day

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
To soak them, you need to put them in a separate tub that they can't climb out of. Setting them in their water dish is not soaking them. I use dishwashing tubs from Walmart and I like the water temp around 90.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
awesome thanks tom, i will do that now, how long should i leav them in there?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
10 minutes a day is probably enough. I usually go around 20-30. On hot summer days when I let them sun for a long time, I might soak for an hour after their outside time. That is my usual strategy for younger ones.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Tom said:
10 minutes a day is probably enough. I usually go around 20-30. On hot summer days when I let them sun for a long time, I might soak for an hour after their outside time. That is my usual strategy for younger ones.

awesome, I am going to do exactly that from now on, I always thought they needed to be soaked for as long as they wanted, since they would just get right out as soon as I put them in the dish, and sometimes they would stay in for a few minutes, I spray them often as well, to help their shell develop nice and round, their shells are coming out good, and they are almost 5 months old and the shell is looking good beside some small unnoticable pyramiding

Status
Not open for further replies.