found 2 sulcatas

Susan Rod

Hello,
I found 2 Sulcata's in a box about last February, one is bigger than the other I have been feeding Spring Mix And Baby spinish I buy from the Farmers Market and I was told to give Mazuri.. They loved it with all green...Until November when sleep on and off till now.. They wont eat a thinf not even Mazuri.. .They only want to stay in there water dishes.
Can some one help me Please I was so proud that They triple in size in a year but now I dont know what to do..
Thanks
Susan Rod.

Susan Rod

Ok Thank You, do you know why the wont eat only want to be in their water bowls
They sleept for about 3 months they had food and water but all they did was sleep and moved a bit here and then.
Thanks
Susan Rod

KevinGG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz, CA
Read this and correct what needs correcting.: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

What are your cool side, warm side, basking, and overnight low temperatures?

Don't want to hijack this thread. Go to the sulcata tortoise section and start a new thread. Include the answers to the questions I just asked and pictures of your tortoises face and enclosure in the new thread.

No worries if your care hasn't been perfect. We're here to help you.

Last edited:

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
They sleept for about 3 months they had food and water but all they did was sleep and moved a bit here and then.
Thanks
Susan Rod
Are you sure they are sulcatas ? Sulcata tortoises don't hibernate, they were probably too cold to eat.
Read http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/
for suitable food items and provide them with a heated night bow for next winter. See our enclosures section for more details.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks
Susan Rod
It sounds like they are trying to hibernate.
Are they Sulcata?
What @Tidgy's Dad said

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Are you sure they are sulcata? If you post photos, we can confirm the species for you.

How how you been housing them all this time? Three months of sleep would mean a very sick sulcata. What are the low temperatures in your enclosure - day and night? How hot is your basking temperature? A sulcata that is too cold will not eat. We need more details about the care you've been providing so we can help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Susan:

If you haven't provided heat for the tortoises, then that's what's wrong with them. They come from Africa, where they've evolved to live in warm climate, and can't tolerate being cold.

Please post a picture of the tortoises in their habitat, then we'll be much better able to give you good advice.