How to feed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdub

5 Year Member
It happens that my little sulcata's have voracious appetites. Although, they don't always finish all their food i'm curious as to how much i should feed them? Currently i feed them mazuri diet and some romaine lettuce mixed together. I'm assuming that they're smart enough to eat till their full? or am i guessing wrong and this isn't what they do in the wild? any opinions on how much and how often i should feed these little beasts?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
In the wild, they live in the desert. feast or famine most likely.. and what they eat they have to walk to. So they are roamers for sure. Mazuri is good, but be sure he gets a better variety of greens. Spring Mix from the grocery store is great. dark greens. romaine is just a step above iceberg.
Dampen the greens and sprinkle your vitamins over the top. Calcium etc. Be sure to read up on thier care and diet needs. Many links posted on this site.
Mine graze throughout the day, 'Cows with shells', is what they are,, and they eat A LOT!

jdub

5 Year Member
kool thanks laura!

this spring mix that you're talking about. is it just like a variety of veggies in a bag?

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Here's a visual. It may also be sold bulk by the pound in the produce area. Pick out the spinach if the mix includes it. The bagged ones are useful as they list what is inside, so it's easier to figure out what the tort likes and doesn't like. Some of the ingredients in spring mix can also be bought separately. This is just the most bang for your bulk for variety without spending a lot of money and being wasteful. There a couple brands I won't buy since Trevor won't eat some stuff in it.

2wmgrxx.jpg

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
They also like dandelion, hibiscus, grass. You could try endive, escrole, collard greens, mustard greens, green leaf, red leaf, plus spring mix. Variety is key, change it up every couple days. You can still use the mazuri, I wet it and grind it and sprinkle over so they get it both ways. Some stores sell dandelion greens if you don't have them, also timothy, bermuda, or orchard hay is good, i always keep some in there enclosure for them to snack.

jdub

5 Year Member
oh... thanks tortoisenerd. the visual really helped.

PrincessN678

5 Year Member
My torts love the spring mix. The only down side is my baby is "picky" the she only likes the spring mix so I have to be sneaky and mix things in with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.