Torts wont eat

BShellshock

Location (City and/or State)
Hook
Hi. 2 80 year old hermanns been awake early in Jan so tort table in my living room but not loads of room but weather in UK still too cold for them to go outside. After waking up they were seen by vet and given ok but last few weeks they wont eat properly and are endlessly restless. I am bathing them every few days in reproboost but normally.they both fall on food - even did the crazy lady forage around my village picking dandilion leaves(their fave!) In the rain. Any advice? Should i continue to worry?? They have had same wake up routine for a number of years so no major change.
Not been adding calcium yet to food but wont eat ANY of their favourites including pellets

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First if they are housed together they shouldn't be. Tortoises should never be housed in pairs.
Second, the enclosure being too small and then if there are two in it, that's double stress on them
Also, besides above changes needing to be made, the weather is cold and even though they are in the house, they can sense the weather isn't what the normally would want to wake up too.
Make their enclosures brightly lit during the day and warm. 80F all over and 95-100F basking and don't let night temps go below 70-75.

BShellshock

Hook
Hi. Thank you for your advice. I am aware keeping them together is not recommended but I inherited these 2 and they have lived together for 50 years before that. I agree they need more room in tort table but had to get them up early this year as one had mouth rot. Once weather improves, they go outside during the day - they have the whole garden to wander and a house to sleep in. At night i bring them into tort table in garage to slee. Table has heat lamp and thermostat to keep house in table warm.
Do you feel that once they can go their own way in garden they will eat better?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
If your temperatures are right and their diet is right, then the best thing you can do for them is to SEPARATE them. If they have been together for 50 years, you can make their next 50 years a lot happier and more comfortable for each tortoise by putting it by itself away from the other one. It's just a fact that they do not naturally live together as a pair. Groups are sometimes OK, but not two.

Megatron's Mom

North Little Rock, Arkansas
You don't mention what kind of light you have on them for brightness? I don't have the same tortoise. But I had one of my strip lights go out and it wasn't long that my sulcata stopped eating. It freaked me out. Instead of waiting for Amazon to send me lights I went to Walmart. Within minutes he woke up and started eating. If your tortoises are up earlier than normal I bet it's the lack of sunlight that is doing it to them. Brighten things up. It takes very little time and money to test it out.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They won't eat if they're not warm enough. Their core temperature has to be AT LEAST 85°F. Think of it: your core temperature is 98.6°F, so at LEAST 85°F is really not too warm, but much warmer than room temperature!

JoJosMom

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake, CA
Hi. Thank you for your advice. I am aware keeping them together is not recommended but I inherited these 2 and they have lived together for 50 years before that. I agree they need more room in tort table but had to get them up early this year as one had mouth rot. Once weather improves, they go outside during the day - they have the whole garden to wander and a house to sleep in. At night i bring them into tort table in garage to slee. Table has heat lamp and thermostat to keep house in table warm.
Do you feel that once they can go their own way in garden they will eat better?
What about your humidity? They need humidity.