Toxic... or not...

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stells

And you thought i was asking about a plant didn't you :p

Just thought i would do a post pointing out... that even the most edible of plants can be toxic... if planted wrongly

Always make sure to sow seeds...in unfertilized soil... and if purchased at a shop/garden centre... etc then bang off the soil around the root... and repot in plain soil and leave until new growth/blooms appear...

Alot of plants/weeds will act as a sponge to the nitrates in fertilizers... and soak them up until levels are toxic... a great example being Milk thistle...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Thanks for the tip Kelly. I have a question. Usually, I just buy the plant, dig a big hole, fill it with "garden soil" and plant my new plant. Then I water the heck out of it and spray the whole plant down pretty heavily several times over a few weeks. I don't feed anything off of the new plant for AT LEAST 3 months, usually longer AND I only feed new growth or flowers that have come up while I've had the plant. I'm mainly talking about roses, hibiscus, rose of sharon and a few others. Does this sound like its a safe way to go? I've never knocked all the soil off for fear of killing the plant. Keep in mind that its hard to grow anything here and because its so hot and dry all the time, my plants get WAY more water than normal (meaning a lot of flushing/rinsing action is happening).

S

stells

Sounds good to me Tom... if knocking off the soil and repotting the "weathering" in time is usually just a few weeks... so 3 months is definately enough with what you are doing

M

Maggie Cummings

Tom, I dig my hole bigger then I need and I put a layer of Bob poop in the bottom. It always makes a great plant. When I moved in here there was a stick of a plant where I was going to put my box turtles but it wasn't ready for turtles yet so I started throwing Bob poop in on it. It has now been 4 years and the plant is a rhododendron and it is big and this year for the first time it bloomed. A beautiful lavender color that's so vivid it hurts your eye to look at it. It is covered with blooms...all from Bob poop...

Here...

2j1u9af.jpg

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Maggie, you mean if I throw in some Pio poop, my plants will thrive? It won't burn the roots? I have to try this now.

M

Maggie Cummings

terryo said:
Maggie, you mean if I throw in some Pio poop, my plants will thrive? It won't burn the roots? I have to try this now.

That's exactly what I mean. I add it to a plant that's not doing good and it turns around mostly. I have had a couple that died but I swear by Bob poop.
Pio poop may not be enough tho. I'll be glad to send you some Bob poop if you like

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
maggie3fan said:
terryo said:

That's exactly what I mean. I add it to a plant that's not doing good and it turns around mostly. I have had a couple that died but I swear by Bob poop.
Pio poop may not be enough tho. I'll be glad to send you some Bob poop if you like

Maggie, you just hit on a brilliant small business opportunity. Compost Bob poop like you compost chicken poop (to cut down on the chance of plants burning) and then sell it. $5 and shipping for your very own Bob Poop. Perfect, a never ending income stream. Bob is a very cooperative manufacturer from what I have seen.

Dawna

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am so doing this with the next plant I get. My three big ones make as much "fertilizer" as Bob.

Status
Not open for further replies.