Toxic plants.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
Hi all.
I'm not questioning our methods on what is edible and what's not at all, just curious. It's better to be safe than sorry.

How do we get to point of saying "that's edible and that's not".

I'm guessing chemical analysis's have been done and the diagnosis concluded on plants. Are these tests for humans, I assume tests are also done for such as farm animals too.
What about for Tortoises, do we make the assumption that if it's a no for humans it's a no for Tortoises?

If a Tortoise is roaming in the wild would something that is naturally toxic to the Tortoise taste nasty, this would be natures way of the Tortoise steering clear of toxic plants.
I had a tulip petal blow into our enclosure the other day(I'm certain one petal will do no harm) and one of my redfoots ate it before I could snatch it from under her. She seemed to lap it up. Think I'm right in saying tulips are a no no. Why would she eat something that's toxic. Is it only certain parts of a plant are toxic, petal,leaves,stalk or even just the bulb.

Are there any known cases of serious illness or even death through a Tortoise ingesting a toxic plant?

Thanks.

Craig.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I go by what the Tortoise Table website says generally
http://thetortoisetable.org.uk/site/plant_database_14.asp

They give the reasons for their decision, be that high oxalate, toxins or whatever.

It is skewed to a Testudo diet, in my opinion, but useful for other species as the reasoning enables those with knowledge of the diet of their tort can interpret it accordingly. For example, TT will warn you away from fruits that Red Foot can eat.

With regard to human foods, I still go by what TT says. Not all human foods are suitable.

IF TT says it's suitable then I personally won't worry about whether or not it's grown organically. Fit for human consumption is fit for torts when it comes to my budget.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Most toxins were tested on mammals, we know almost nothing about their effect on tortoises.

You can find some stories about poisonings, but that seems to be very unusual. I guess they know quite well what they can eat and how much of it. Because don't forget - there's no such thing as a "toxic" or "edible" plant, the dose makes the poison.