Transporting Radiated Across State Lines

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I assume that radiated tortoises can only be sold to residents of the state they are being sold in without a permit, but I couldn't find that for sure.

My questions are:

1) If you own one, could you move to another state and take it with you, without a permit?

2) Can you buy one in person in a state you are not a resident of and take it home with you without a permit?

Also, is the permit process basically just filling out an application and waiting for months until they get around to approving/denying it?

Thanks!

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
1) No, you need a permit to cross state lines.
2) You can, but it is illegal. You need a permit to cross state lines with a radiated tortoise.

It is a detail application. Almost an essay style with detail photos and regime.

If you are in Arizona, I am downsizing some of my radiated tortoises. I live in Arizona, so no permit would be required.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
gummybearpoop said:
1) No, you need a permit to cross state lines.
2) You can, but it is illegal. You need a permit to cross state lines with a radiated tortoise.

It is a detail application. Almost an essay style with detail photos and regime.

If you are in Arizona, I am downsizing some of my radiated tortoises. I live in Arizona, so no permit would be required.

Thanks Norman! That is pretty much what I thought, I just wanted to make sure. It seems that anyone who decides to work with radiata would probably be wise to obtain a permit regardless, just because you never know what situation will arise. I pm'd you back about your torts.

I'm sorry, I just had one more thought. I occasionally go to reptile shows in other states (that is why I was asking if you could bring them home across state lines). Would a vendor at a show sell a radiated tortoise to someone without asking for proof of citizenship of that state? Couldn't they lose their permit if they did that?

I am only asking because the dark side of the reptile community has always fascinated me. I want no part of it, and I support any and all laws that are designed to protect the animals, I just like to know exactly what types of illegal activities are going on.

Thanks again for the information.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
USFWS keeps tabs. They could potentially lose their permit and the ability to renew their permit. In addition, they would probably deny you for any other kind of wildlife permit, ie: export, import, CBW permits for other species, etc.

There are loopholes like anything else.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA
Permits revocation/denial not withstanding, there is a minor issue of up to 10 years in prison & $250K per violation... Not having the appropriate permit would violate both the Endangered Species Act & the Lacey Act - two stones, one bird!

Orko

5 Year Member
Wil be this the correct permit to apply for? If so is it the same for any kind of tortoises that request a permit?

http://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-41.pdf

I heard that it is very difficult to get, is this true? Any advise or suggestions in getting one?

Thank you

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
Orko said:
Wil be this the correct permit to apply for? If so is it the same for any kind of tortoises that request a permit?

http://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-41.pdf

I heard that it is very difficult to get, is this true? Any advise or suggestions in getting one?

Thank you

That is the correct permit needed for Radiateds. It is not difficult, but it is tedious. If you do apply, take the time and include everything they ask with photos, it will speed up the process. Once you have one and own Radiateds, you have to submit annually your inventory.

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thanks for the info everyone. I promise, I will never do anything I am not sure of without asking here first.

Status
Not open for further replies.