permit questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badgemash

5 Year Member
I know I need to get a permit from Fish and Wildlife to purchase a radiated outside of Arizona. But what happens if you have your torts and a permit, but then move to another state? Is there additional paperwork you have to do before you move? I'm thinking about getting my permit and torts, but I'm also thinking about moving to Oregon for graduate school next year. I wouldn't want to get them only to find out I couldn't take them with me.

-Devon

coastal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
The permit is only needed if you buy/sell across state lines. If no money is exchanged a permit is not needed and for personal pets you already own you also don't need a permit to move them as long as you remain the owner and or no money trades hands. You should always keep a paper trail of the source of the animals just in case your asked by fish and game to produce them.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Badgemash said:
I know I need to get a permit from Fish and Wildlife to purchase a radiated outside of Arizona. But what happens if you have your torts and a permit, but then move to another state? Is there additional paperwork you have to do before you move? I'm thinking about getting my permit and torts, but I'm also thinking about moving to Oregon for graduate school next year. I wouldn't want to get them only to find out I couldn't take them with me.

-Devon

You'll need to look a laws state by state because they vary greatly. I just looked up Oregon exotic animals law, and it says you need a permit there for bears other than black bear, felines other than housecats, etc, etc, and crocodilians. No other reptiles were listed, so you're OK in Oregon at least. Just google search state name and exotics or exotic animals and look for pages that are ag dept or fish and game.

Badgemash

5 Year Member
Thanks, both posts have good advice, although I would really question what sort of person would be keeping bears at home!

-Devon

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Badgemash said:
Thanks, both posts have good advice, although I would really question what sort of person would be keeping bears at home!

-Devon

My sweetie always says he wants a pet bear, but I think he's just kidding around.

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Edna said:
Badgemash said:

-Devon

My sweetie always says he wants a pet bear, but I think he's just kidding around.

I hope he is, lol.

John

5 Year Member
Badgemash said:

-Devon

you'd be surprised

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
I had added to my post about my sweetie wanting a pet bear, but the added part disappeared. The folks at the local Mexican bakery/grocery told me they save their old baked goods for a guy who feeds them to his bear. I don't think the bear is housed in town, but it wouldn't surprise me too much if it was. People do have bears, maybe more so in some places than in others.

Badgemash

5 Year Member
Edna said:
I had added to my post about my sweetie wanting a pet bear, but the added part disappeared. The folks at the local Mexican bakery/grocery told me they save their old baked goods for a guy who feeds them to his bear. I don't think the bear is housed in town, but it wouldn't surprise me too much if it was. People do have bears, maybe more so in some places than in others.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised really since I keep trying to convince Chris that a pet wallaby is a good idea. I just wouldn't want to live next door to the pet bear!

-Devon

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What's wrong with pet bears?
9zplrr.jpg

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Nice bears, Tom!

"So meet a bear and take him on out to lunch with you
And even though your friends may stop and stare
Just remember that's a bear there in the bunch with you
And they just don't come no better than a bear...."

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I knew it what let on your bucket list any thing ? Seem's like you have done it all :) what about sky diving?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
coreyc said:
I knew it what let on your bucket list any thing ? Seem's like you have done it all :) what about sky diving?

Only once, but no pics. The scariest thing about it was the plane ride up in that little rickety plane. I couldn't WAIT to jump out of it. Sky diving can best be described as loud and windy.

Badgemash

5 Year Member
Tom, I thought Chris and I had the coolest jobs in the world, but you may in fact have us beat. Although when I see a pic of you holding bears by the back of the neck I must admit there's a little voice in the back of my head wanting to remind you not to pull a Steve Irwin.

-Devon

Status
Not open for further replies.