Legality of Radiated Tortoises

Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hi everyone, I was just about to purchase, more like adopt, a radiated tortoise from another state. The current owner of it cannot take care of it anymore and I am able to. I do not have a CBW permit, but if it is not a company that I am purchasing from, is it still illegal to technically adopt it and ship it? Thank you.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
you cannot buy or sell cross state lines without a permit. What exactly do you mean by "adopt"?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
I am only paying for the shipping really, it is not for business purposes or for him to make money, he needs a place for it to live simply.
I'm not a lawyer even though I play one on TV but if you're paying shipping I would not consider buying a tortoise I guess it depends on how much you're paying for shipping you might want to consult a lawyer

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Best is if you are truly only paying for the ship, pay a relative of the owner for the ship and then the relative can pay the owner so you do not send any money to the owner, then it would be recorded as a gift which is completely legal across state lines.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
Never hurts to search the web for the seller. You may in fact turn up that he/she is not even in the United States. Or has a reputation as a fraudster. There are enough experienced people for all species either here or on Facebook or Fauna Classifieds to flush out a scam artist. Word to the wise, deal with a reputable person. In my experience, there are some great hobbyists on this forum.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
how were you going to pay this person? Western Union?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thats what I thought, $150 including shipping for a rad is too little.

Scam. Or law enforcement entrapment.

Either way, steer clear. Not worth it.

If you want a radiated tortoise we can help you find one in your state and purchase it legally.

Southern California
Scam. Or law enforcement entrapment.

Either way, steer clear. Not worth it.

If you want a radiated tortoise we can help you find one in your state and purchase it legally.
Thank you for your help, I am okay though. I am looking more to adopt one or foster one. I have a leopard tortoise, but when I saw this, I thought it was too good to be true, which it probably is.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Thank you for your help, I am okay though. I am looking more to adopt one or foster one. I have a leopard tortoise, but when I saw this, I thought it was too good to be true, which it probably is.
I doubt you will ever find a radiated tortoise up for adoption or foster, people don't buy those on a whim. if you want one you're going to have to pay full price.

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
I have never seen one put up for adoption (legitimate). They are too uncommon and have value at a minimum of a thousand dollars. No one would give one away based on their intrinsic value. Some are darker then others and some have amazing color and pattern. When I can no longer care for mine, they will be sold, not given away. Based on your list of experience, the likelihood of getting a permit in this current climate is pretty remote. Stick with the species in your budget and take excellent care of them.

Southern California
I have never seen one put up for adoption (legitimate). They are too uncommon and have value at a minimum of a thousand dollars. No one would give one away based on their intrinsic value. Some are darker then others and some have amazing color and pattern. When I can no longer care for mine, they will be sold, not given away. Based on your list of experience, the likelihood of getting a permit in this current climate is pretty remote. Stick with the species in your budget and take excellent care of them.
That makes sense. Thank you.