Traveling back and forth

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
Hey guys, I was wondering if traveling will cause stress to my tortoise? I live in Raleigh and have a beach house at the coast and usually travel back and forth on the weekends or even longer during the summer. It's about a 2 1/2 hour drive. I was thinking about putting up the same type of enclosure at my house at the beach that I use at my house in the city. So at the beach house there would be the same actual enclosure/habitat with the same substrate. I was thinking of bringing the plants, water bowls, lights, hides, etc with me to the beach that I have at my main enclosure in the city and set them up in that enclosure. I would continue to do this process back and forth. Is this unhealthy for my tortoise. Would it cause her stress or pain in any way? Is there any better way to do this? How should I have her while driving? Sorry if this is a little confusing

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
I have driven my tortoises to schools and just that short trip freaked them out, they pooped everywhere. If your guys are stable in their existing habitat, I would just leave them for the weekend instead. It may not be bad for them to travel, but it will stress them out some. If you really want them to come along, try it out once and see how they react.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I agree, Tidgy likes her place and doesn't like unfamiliar situations.
The only car ride she ever took, when I brought her home, stressed her, but she was pretty stressed already, to be fair.
I wouldn't take her in a car unless I had to.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It will stress them, but some will adjust fine, some maybe not. The pooping, from what I have read on this forum is a sure thing to expect. However, if you can have someone come to your house and care for them while your gone, that would be the best way.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
On the other side of the coin... I've driven mine around with no issues.

Greg, yours are big guys, right? Not sure if that is the difference but my small ones have all traveled just fine.
I've put them in plastic shoe box type totes (covered) with a dry substrate. Usually crumbled leaves or hay. I don't want them damp and cold so dry substrate for the car rides was a must for me. I didn't get potty messes..

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Sounds like you'll be going to your vacation home regularly.
Personally, I'd want to take the tort. An occasional pet sitter is one thing but being away, alot....well, I'd just prefer to have double enclosures and take him. No one will care for the little guy like you will.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
This is tough. I agree with Heather, I would want my tort with me. It may depend on the tortoise. My female leopard, 20 pounds, completely freaks out whith any change. She still has not adjusted to new enclosure for summer, and it has been over a month.

sherminator

5 Year Member
The humid South
How did the traveling go? I've taken mine with me because I'm a worrier. Mine seems to travel fairly well and did it just like Heather said too. I took his habitat with me and mine's young. I even took him to a NC beach house! (I can tell when he likes a song. He stops and cocks his head and looks. It's funny. )

CleoTheLeo

5 Year Member
It went well, thank you for asking! She seemed to be fine and not mine when she was put in a new place for a couple days. That's very funny that your tort does that! I think that it is so awesome that each of the little guys seem to have their own personality!

sherminator

5 Year Member
The humid South
After his morning soak he sometimes sits on the couch with me for some breakfast greens and does the same thing when he's curious about what he hears on the TV too. It's hilarious. Singing g happy birthday gets him to come out

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
After his morning soak he sometimes sits on the couch with me for some breakfast greens and does the same thing when he's curious about what he hears on the TV too. It's hilarious. Singing g happy birthday gets him to come out
I've got a wake up song for my little girl.
Usually gets her up and running.
And not in the opposite direction i hasten to add.