Tree Frogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Does anyone know a safe algie killer that I can put in my frog pond that won't hurt the polly wogs or baby frogs? I'm fighting green water.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Your best bet? Get a UV sterilizer. They are expensive to get initially, but worth it. You save a ton on additives.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
TortieGal said:
Does anyone know a safe algie killer that I can put in my frog pond that won't hurt the polly wogs or baby frogs? I'm fighting green water.

Actually ... that is the best thing for your frogs. Tadpoles for the most part are vegetarian, therefore algae consumers. The naturally green water from an algae tank is filled with microscopic living algae, a perfect food source for xeno-tads.
frog5.jpg

JD~ :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Harriet carter (mail order company) sells a bird bath dealgifier, it is safe for birds, but I can not say if it is safe for toads.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
To get rid of the green water, shade the pond with a roof of some variety. Pergolas with shade cloth are easy and attractive ways to pull this off. Also, a floating water plant like hyacinth will quickly cover the entire surface of a pond, steal nutrients from the algae, and shade the water to further inhibit algae growth. Your frogs will also probably enjoy sitting on them- mine do.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They make barley pads that you float in the water. Supposed to clarify the pond.

chairman

10 Year Member!
Mississippi
emysemys said:
They make barley pads that you float in the water. Supposed to clarify the pond.

I completely forgot about the barley straw. I have some of that in my pond as well. It is alleged that some chemicals released by rotting barley inhibit the growth of algae. Adding the barely seemed to help my pond, but it wasn't until my plants grew in well enough to shade it that my water went clear again.

TortieGal

5 Year Member
Oregon
Well it’s not actually a pond it’s the largest kid pool I could find, those big round plastic ones. I saved the polly wogs out of my pool before I drained it and refilled it, so there probably a bit over crowded in there. The water is getting so dark green you can't see in it any more, some of the polly wogs are dying two. I realize they won't all make it but I want to save as many as I can. I am starting to do water changes by letting buckets sit for a night and a day to get the chorine out. Then I sit out there with my fish tank siphon and drain a bunch of water out and put the buckets in its back breaking and time consuming. The things I do for frogs! But there so darn cute and they eat misqitoes. I will try shading them. Would the barley pads help in a kiddy pool? I will have to look into a UV sterilizer ( I will have to google that) if I'm going to keep doing this every year. I want to build them a little in ground one that the torts can use to.

Status
Not open for further replies.